VMware Cloud Community
AOBRRD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue with Linux P2V

Hi All,

I am trying to convert a physical Linux machine to our ESX host, on the converter i can connect to the box, set the options including giving the helper VM a static IP as there is not DHCP on the network and i start the convert, when i look at the console on the ESX i can see the machine start to convert, it asks for a username and password to login to the helper which i do (i fixed the converter worker file to allow this) but once it logs in the conversion just sites there at 1% and does nothing else/ is there something i am missing?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AOBRRD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Got it working in the end, not sure how, i rebooted both the source machine and the pc with the converter on it, ran the process again it works. Thanks though for getting back to me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You don't need to log in VM, just wait until helper connects to your physical Linux, this can take few minutes.

HTH

0 Kudos
AOBRRD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope been sitting there for 15 mins and it is just waiting at a login prompt

The initial "root" and "user" password is "password"

Converter login:_

so not sure what to do next

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have a look at the log while you are there - /var/log/vmware-converter/converter-helper.log

0 Kudos
AOBRRD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Got it working in the end, not sure how, i rebooted both the source machine and the pc with the converter on it, ran the process again it works. Thanks though for getting back to me.

0 Kudos