VMware Cloud Community
Scott58
Contributor
Contributor

Installs Correctly, Can't Connect

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting the Converter to connect to the server.  I'm running Win 7 Pro and have successfully installed the Standalone Converter 5.0.0 build 470252 with the default settings (no advanced changes).  I am not joined to a domain.  I am logging in as my default Admin account.  I run the Standalone Client as an Administrator and the main window comes up.  When I click on Convert Machine, I get:

Unable to connect to VMware vCenter Converter Standalone server. Please check your network connection.

followed by:

The connection to VMware cVenter Standalone server was lost.  Do you want to try connecting again?

Note - I am not trying to connect to a remote machine, just the local server with the default account.  All the VMware services are running (Agent, Server, Worker) and all are set to run as local system account.  I've tried restarting all of them.  I've tried rebooting.  I've tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling and still have the same errors.  I cannot see any extra logs in the Event Viewer indicating something is bombing.

When I open a command window and try to connect to localhost via 443, I get a failure.  I've already tried opening the port via Windows Firewall and still get the connection failure so I'm not sure if my port is still blocked or if the server itself isn't responding.  I don't have any other AV or firewall software running aside from Windows Firewall.  Any ideas on where to troubleshoot next?  Thanks,

DB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

First you need to re-install the Converter in client-server mode. Next you must open couple of ports, see manual. And finally turn off your UAC control on Vista+ machine. HTH

0 Kudos
Scott58
Contributor
Contributor

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling in client/server mode.  Since I'm running both client and server on the same machine, I don't understand why this is necessary but I did it and there were some differences.  The port rule for 443 was automatically added where before only the 9089 was opened.  So that's good.  Now, when I connect using my default administrator account, it fails.  But if I connect using another administrator account, I get a message about the certificates being self-signed which means I'm getting to the server now.  But alas, even after logging in, as soon as I try to Convert Machine, I get the same error about being unable to connect and then another message that the connection to the server was lost.  Then it prompts me to log in again.  UAC has been disabled from the start (forgot to mention that) and so I'm really at a loss for what else to check.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Client/server mode is required for remote connections, if you want to converter 'Local machine' use 'Connect to local server' otherwise you'll need all ports open as described in manual. To convert local machine you'll need to be Local Administrator, or Domain Administrator with full rights for local machine (I don't understand what's the difference between "defaul administrator" and "another administrator").

Next you could check, and disable, any antivirus and firewall programs. It's not usual to be disconnected, please find and upload logs from %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMWare\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs: server and worker logs to inspect what's happens.

0 Kudos
dwagner_xpert_t
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone else that runs into this problem I ended up fixing the issue. I choose the advanced install option. When it came to the point of asking for port numbers I increased them by 1 and after the install was complete it allowed me to connect and convert the machine.

0 Kudos