VMware Cloud Community
DamienA
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMware vCenter Converter Standalone fails on windows 7 with error : Could not extract file

Hi,

I'm having trouble with installation of VMware vCenter Converter Standalone on my Windows 7 Enterprise workstation. I tried installing different versions (6.1.1, 6.0.0, 5.5.3, 5.5.2) and every time I get the error "could not extract file ." (with no file name mentioned, as you can see in the attached file) after installation begins (I passed all the installation questions successfully).

Prviously I had v5.5.2 installed, I installed v5.5.3 succesfully without uninstalling previous version. As I wanted to install the latest version, I wanted to make it cleanly, so I uninstalled my current version (5.5.3), and now I can't install any version, even my v5.5.2 that was previsouly installed.

Did someone already had this problem and found a solution ? Or do you have any idea that could help me ?

I tried to run the installer as administrator, but it didn't change anything.

In case it could have side effects, I have these VMware products installed :

- VMware Player

- VMware vSphere Client 4.1

- VMware vSphere Client 5.1

- VMware vSphere Client 5.5

To test the installer, I installed v6.1.1 on windows 2003 and I had no problem.

7 Replies
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi D

0 Kudos
DamienA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for your answer, but this link seems to be for problems when converting a machine.

My problem is the installation of Converter Standalone (the software) on my workstation doesn't work. I'm not yet trying to convert a machine.

I already tried to disable the UAC, but it changed nothing to my problem.

0 Kudos
DamienA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've more infortmations about my problem (but still no solution).

I've run the installer with these options to get a log file :

"%~dp0VMware-converter-en-6.1.1-3533064.exe" /S /v"/l*v VMwareInstall.log"

And in the log file I found this :

Action 09:18:08: VM_ExtractSetupFiles.

Action start 09:18:08: VM_ExtractSetupFiles.

MSI (s) (E8:B4) [09:18:08:848]: Note: 1: 2235 2:  3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT `Action`,`Type`,`Source`,`Target`, NULL, `ExtendedType` FROM `CustomAction` WHERE `Action` = 'VM_ExtractSetupFiles'

MSI (s) (E8:B8) [09:18:08:871]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIE47D.tmp, Entrypoint: VMExtractSetupFiles

MSI (s) (E8:B8) [09:18:12:997]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (187) of type 790541 for thread 18860

MSI (s) (E8:B8) [09:18:12:997]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (184) of type 790541 for thread 18860

MSI (s) (E8:B8) [09:18:12:997]: Note: 1: 2769 2: VM_ExtractSetupFiles 3: 2

Info 2769.Custom Action VM_ExtractSetupFiles did not close 2 MSIHANDLEs.

CustomAction VM_ExtractSetupFiles returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 09:18:12: VM_ExtractSetupFiles. Return value 3.

Action ended 09:18:13: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Action ended 09:18:13: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.

MSI (c) (68:B8) [09:18:13:097]: Doing action: SetupCompleteError

Action 09:18:13: SetupCompleteError.

Action start 09:18:13: SetupCompleteError.

It looks like I've a problem with my msi installer, but I don't know what to do.

Do you have any idea ?

I found another problem in the knowledge base, but I'm not confident if it's relevant for my problem :

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20573...

It concerns another VMware product and seems to be related to uninstallation of certificates. The workaround mentions a patch to ask to the support.

Do you think this type of solution could apply to my problem ?

0 Kudos
mprestidge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Damien, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the exact same issue on Windows 7.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload install logs, from %temp%\vm*.log?

0 Kudos
CedrikC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DamienA,

Got the same problem. I think it's because of antivirus : this kind of programs can block extraction of files.

I resolved this problem by desactivating the real time scanning during the installation of VMware Converter (because it could not extract "openssl.exe" into temp directory).

0 Kudos
ankurgoyal01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Damien,

Try and take the registry backup and then try and delete all the entries of vCenter Converter Standalone.

Once done reboot the machine and then try to install vCenter Converter.

Regards

Ankur

0 Kudos