VMware Cloud Community
macarranza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing AMD network adapter on NT 4 SP6a does not work after P2V

I performed a P2V of a windows NT SP6a machine. After the migration I uninstalled the network adapter and installed the AMD adapter and reconfigure TCP/IP. In order to do this I downloaded the "PCNET family software" utility from AMD (is this the way it is done?).

The adapter is installed without errors, but it does not work.

When doing a ping I get the "destination unreachable" error.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, there is a different folder for NT4 on the VMware Tools CD. You cannot use the W2K driver. The driver file is a .sys file and from Windows NT4 you will need to provide the full path name to the file and then it will detect the file as VMware PCI net driver.

Again, from the UI launch the VMware Tools installation. That will mount the CD-ROM and you can look there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What product are you using to run the VM? If there is a vlance option in the networking, make sure to select that.

0 Kudos
macarranza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your prompt reply.

Sorry, I do not understand your question. I am using ESX 3.0....

how/where do you select the "vlance" option?

Miguel

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

"vlance" only applies to ESX Server 2.5.x and prior. It used to be that you had to select "vlance" if using the default AMD PCI net driver, and "vmxnet" with the VMware PCI net driver that came with the VMware Tools when configuring the virtual NIC.

With ESX Server 3.0, this setting is no longer needed and installing VMware Tools will automatically use the appropriate driver.

Try installing the VMware Tools and before clicking on cancel, the CD will be mounted. Then go into the CD drive and look in the network drivers folder to find the driver file for the AMD Accelerated PCI net driver.

0 Kudos
ccannon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there. I am having a similar problem with Windows NT4. The host is running GSX server 3.1, and I ran the VMWare Converter to convert the NT4 server to a VMWare image and I removed the network adapter that was installed. After that I ran VMWare tools, however it is not installing the network adapter (there is no option for it either). I've run VMWare tools several times. I've installed the AMD driver to no avail. I've also tried to manually add the network card but NT doesn't like the oemsetup.inf file. The NIC setting is Bridged so I'm not sure what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out over this.

Thanks

Charles

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to go into the network settings and first manually remove the network adapter, reboot, and then manually add the network adapter using the driver file which is located on the Windows NT 4.0 CD or VMware Tools CD.

0 Kudos
ccannon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After uninstalling the AMD adapter and rebooting, the error I get when installing from the directory c:\program files\vmware\vmware tools\drivers\vmxnet is "The OEMSETUP.INF or OEMSETNT.INF file found is not valid for the current option. This folder did not exist when I ran VMWare tools, I copied the folder from another machine that had W2K server so could that be the problem? Also when I install the AMD driver that doesn't seem to work either. The adapter that gets installed is AMD PCNET ISA/VESA Ethernet Adapter. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, there is a different folder for NT4 on the VMware Tools CD. You cannot use the W2K driver. The driver file is a .sys file and from Windows NT4 you will need to provide the full path name to the file and then it will detect the file as VMware PCI net driver.

Again, from the UI launch the VMware Tools installation. That will mount the CD-ROM and you can look there.

0 Kudos
Venom83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I realize that the post is quite old, however I was in the need to do exactly what the original author wanted: get the network running in Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and had some trouble.

Let us share:

I converted the NT 4.0 OS using hot clone to avoid NTFS convert. After powering the VM in VMware server 2.0, I had the same error in event log as the author. I removed the driver as advised, rebooted and wanted to add the network adapter driver. However, none of the methods worked. The ISO file used in VMTools contained an MSI only and no plain driver. Reinstalling the tools did not help. Providing the path to i386 of NT4 did not help (obviously, it does not contain the correct driver).

What did the trick:

You take the prewin2k.iso file from VMWare install folder (program files\vmware) and you extract the msi file (magicISO, PowerISO, WinZIP12, etc.) from it. Afterwards I used a neat util called lessMSI to unpack the MSI file itself.

You can start searching for the relevant net. driver files or you can just put all of its contents in a folder an put it in a new ISO file. Then you mount it as virtual CD-ROM device and vuala: you have a driver ready J

Start the NT. Start -> Settings -> Control panel -> Network -> Adapters -> Add - > Have disk -> full path to the extracted files in the CD. Config the TCP/IP settings and reboot. Be careful about IP conflict afterwards if your original NT machine is still online!

Cheers from IL,

Leonid

0 Kudos
Krispro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After converting NT 4.0 SP6a server to a virtual machine I could not install AMD PCnet adapter from a NT 4.0 installation CD. It keep on saying that oemsetup.inf was not present. I have solved this by downloadig driver from AMD web page: . Download NDIS4 Miniport driver for Windows NT Embedded System - 227 KB, Version 4.15 .

After you'll unpack files you need to change name of file: oemnad14.inf to oemsetup.inf . Now you can install AMD PCnet network driver. In my case it works fine.

Regards

0 Kudos
abhijais
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is an older post but I found the AMD network driver here:

http://www.bravofiles.com/driver-AMD-PCNET-Family-Ethernet-VL_2dBus-Adapter.html

I installed the NDIS5 driver and it worked like a charm.

--AJ

0 Kudos