VMware Cloud Community
alexisb
Contributor
Contributor

Inaccessible_Boot_Device

I've been trying to virtualize a win2k desktop for a while now. At first the conversion kept failing at 97%. I went through a lot of posts trying different things they suggested, finally I got the conversion to 100% but for some reason it still said failed. I tried booting the image anyway in VMware and I get a bluescreen with your typical long string of numbers and at the end it reads: Inaccessible_Boot_Device.

Any idea, anyone, anyone?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
alexisb
Contributor
Contributor

I want to try and edit the boot.ini file but i'm not sure what it means to attach the drive to another vm.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

First make sure and shutdown the VM you are trying to vonvert. Then all you do is shutdown the VM you are going to use to attach the HD to. Then add an additional hard drive to that VM, browse to the vmdk file of the VM you are trying to convert thats it. Power up the VM and you should be able to browse the second hard drive. When you are done just remove the HD from the VM (make sure you remove and do not delete the vmdk). Once removed you can power up the converted VM again.

0 Kudos