VMware Cloud Community
Bryan_Erwin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Importing a Physical Machine on Disconnected Network

I have a physical machine that I want to convert to a VM for ESX 3.0.2. The problem is that this machine is on a network that does not have access to Virtual Center or ESX. It's my understanding that VMconverter can only place the image on 1 of 2 target locations, either the target ESX server or a Virtual Center server. If this is the case, the only solution I can come up with is to install an instance of Virtual Center 2.0.2 on the same subnet as the source physical machine, and have vmconverter import it to the Virtual Center machine, and then manually copy the VM to the final destination ESX server. Does this sound correct or is there a simpler option.

Thanks in Advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can choose to export your physical to ESX or to ESX via VC. You can not have the image in ESX format saved onto VC directly.

The option best suited for you is to save it as a "standalone image" for workstation v5. You can then winSCP the vmdk file(s) over to ESX and run the "vmkfstools -i" command to flip it from a workstation v5 vmdk image to an ESX 3.x vmdk image. Then create a new VM and choose "use existing vmdk".

0 Kudos
Bryan_Erwin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great. Thank You.

0 Kudos