VMware Cloud Community
mazk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Import from ESX 2.5.2 to ESX 3.0 Beta

I have 2 servers, one which is running ESX 2.5.2 and has many VM's.

The other server is running ESX 3.0 Beta with only one VM which is running VC2 and VM importer.

How do I import the VM's from my 2.5.2 server into the new 3.0 server?

Is this what the importer is for, or are there easier ways to import the VM's?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gautam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

By logging in do you mean you are trying to connect to the ESX 2.5 server with the VC 2.0 client? This will not work as they are incompatible. You will need to add the ESX 2.5 to a VC 2.0 server, then when importing, select Import from remote source (I think thats what the menu option says), give the VC server's address and login credentials and you should see the VM you want to import in the VC server inventory that shows up in the VM Importer GUI.

An alternative to this is, use vmkfstools -e to export your ESX 2.5 VM to some shared storage, use WS/GSX/VM Server/VM Player to create a new VM and use the disk files that you have just exported. Once this is done power on the VM to make sure everything is ok. Then use VM Importer 2.0 to import this as a standalone VM and select the ESX server as the target.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gautam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VM Importer 2 can import VMs from ESX 2.5 only if the ESX 2.5 server is managed by Virtual Center 2.0.

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What I have done is export the vm's to WS/GSX format and then use the VM importer to move the vm's into my ESX 3/VC 2 lab. Kinda a long way around - but it works.

DB

DB
0 Kudos
mazk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have installed VC2 on the ESX 2.5.2 server, but logging into the local machine does not work. However, logging into the ESX 3.0 server from VC2 on the ESX 2.5.2 server does work.

Going the other way around from ESX 3.0 to ESX 2.5.2 using VC2 also does not work?

0 Kudos
boein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I also tried this but it doesn't work, can you explain exactly what steps you take to do the move. This is what I do:

VM on ESX 2.5

Use vmkfstools to export the VM

Copy the exported files to a PC with the ESX 3.0 importer installed

Run the importer 3.0

Select "import standalone machine" select the appropriate vmx-file

getting an error ... Smiley Sad

sysimage.fault.unabletodetermineguestos ...

Thanks

Wim

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

By logging in do you mean you are trying to connect to the ESX 2.5 server with the VC 2.0 client? This will not work as they are incompatible. You will need to add the ESX 2.5 to a VC 2.0 server, then when importing, select Import from remote source (I think thats what the menu option says), give the VC server's address and login credentials and you should see the VM you want to import in the VC server inventory that shows up in the VM Importer GUI.

An alternative to this is, use vmkfstools -e to export your ESX 2.5 VM to some shared storage, use WS/GSX/VM Server/VM Player to create a new VM and use the disk files that you have just exported. Once this is done power on the VM to make sure everything is ok. Then use VM Importer 2.0 to import this as a standalone VM and select the ESX server as the target.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

I also tried this but it doesn't work, can you

explain exactly what steps you take to do the move.

This is what I do:

M on ESX 2.5

Use vmkfstools to export the VM

Copy the exported files to a PC with the ESX 3.0

importer installed

Run the importer 3.0

Select "import standalone machine" select the

appropriate vmx-file

getting an error ... Smiley Sad

sysimage.fault.unabletodetermineguestos ...

Thanks

Wim

vmkfstools ony exports the disks, what product did you use to create the VM? Were you able to power on the VM using this product?

0 Kudos
mazk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Guatam,

I did not have any shared storage available so could not use vmkfstools -e.

The problem I was having was that the VC2.0 server was not seeing the ESX 2.5.2, and I did not know if it was supposed to be able to see it or not. So my thinking was do both have to be VC2.0 to see each other. I corrected my virtual switches, routing and IP's and now it is able to see it.

0 Kudos