VMware Cloud Community
Intex
Contributor
Contributor

Import Problem Following Conversion

We have a company that hosts one of our virtual machines on their ESX 3.5 infrastructure. We are moving away from them and asked them to send us a clone of the virtual machine so we can import it on our infrastructure.

They've done this, but after putting the VM into the datastore on a new ESX 4i server, we receive the following message:

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported and/or invalid disk type 2.

Did you forget to import the disk first? Unable to create virtual

SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/{path to the VM}/{VM name}.vmdk'

I suspect that they've used a version of VMware converter that's older than the virtual machine hardware (version 7) that's used in vSphere / ESX 4i. I thought I'd be able to right-click the virtual machine once it's been imported and select 'Upgrade Hardware', but that's not on the menu when you right-click the VM.

I need to sort it out this weekend, so can't get the consultancy firm to do anything in the next couple of days. Can I use any command lines on the ESX 4i server to upgrade the hardware? Could I even install the latest version of VMware Converter (4.0.1?) and run the conversion again by using the VM files that I have?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Probably they have export the VM in a wrong format or simple disks are splitted.

Try to check disk proterties to see if you read the size of your disk.

Or try to use VMware Standalone Converter to converter those file and import in ESXi.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Intex
Contributor
Contributor

Can't see what they would have done on the export which wouldn't subsequently work on the import though?

I've had a look at the disk properties and looks OK, just the one SCSI disk. The disk size is the size I'd expect as they said it was 20GB. I've browed the datastore and the strange thing is that I can see two files that are 18GB. The file layout is:

servername.vmx

servername.vmdk

servername-s001.vmdk (18GB)

servername-s0001-s001.vmdk (18GB)

servername.vmsd

servername.vmxf

vmware.log

vmware-1.log

I thought I might use the latest standalone converter to check the overall integrity of the VM and see if there's any issues and perhaps fix any issue (if the data's not corrupt of course).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

very unusual vmdk file-names - either someone messed it up or renamed files manually

servername.vmdk

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos