VMware Cloud Community
k845
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Import My VCenter Database Server

Has anyone tried to convert a physical VCenter database server to Virtual? I have been told to stop all SQL database before you import any SQL/Exchange server. So with that said, If you have, how did you do it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VM converter, it's a separate download. Converter is a free standing product.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't even have to do that, no sense converting it. Just create a NEW VM, install SQL, move the database over. That's much simpler. You have to shut off the database anyway, however that means turn off your vCenter. Migrating a VM needs vCenter, so that would make it rather tough now wouldn't it? Unless of course you use VM Converter. Installing a new one is a simpler route, copy the data (even live with SQL) will minimize downtime.

0 Kudos
k845
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have 7 databases on that server, it would be easer to move the server then reinstall and move all of the application that connect to it. Can I convert the server, then stop the database on the physical server move the database to a shared location. Then detach and reattach the database within the VM then power up vcenter?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can't you shutdown the vCenter and coldclone it ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
k845
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you change the disk size during a cold clone?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then detach and reattach the database within the VM then power up vcenter?

Yep

0 Kudos
k845
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is the cold clone on the ESX 4.0 disk? I have never done one that way.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VM converter, it's a separate download. Converter is a free standing product.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK last suggestion, if you don't want to take it fine.

I still say the best way to move SQL/Oracle for Windows is migrate the databases separately, instead of trying to clone.

You will take several hours.. Depending on Database size, trying to clone it. I can setup a Windows machine, install SQL in less than 20 minutes on a VM. Then all you have to do is copy the databases.. and you can do it LIVE, almost no downtime..

It's up to you, but I am telling you, you are better off manually copying the databases AFTER you setup your new environment. I have only done this about 30 times, you would THINK I MIGHT have just a little bit of insight on this.. but hey, it's your time you are wasting.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My .02

If your DB server that is hosting your VCDB has quite a few instances on it, then like Richard said, I would leave it as is. Rebuild vCenter as a VM and attach to the existing DB.

Or, just migrate the single VCDB off the physical DB server and leave the other instances as is. If you go this route, you may want to setup a DRS rule to keep the vCenter and VCDB VM together. Also, build another SQL Server and migrate the VCDB into it, just as Richard said

keep this handy too

0 Kudos