VMware Cloud Community
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import 1 VHD file into 2 diffrent datastores

Hello All

Here is situation, I have 1 VHD (vmware server 1.04) file 400 GB and I want to migrate it to ESX server 3.5 using converter. I have 2 datastores size of 256GB on esx 3.5 storage. Now I want to migrate 400gb VHD file into two difffrent 256 datasotores.

Can I tell converter to create 2 vhds out of 1 vhd and clone it onto 2 diffrent datastores? is it possible? is there work around to it??

Thanks for any pointers

Ajay Nabh

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

It's a matter of how the virtual machine in server was created, and the follow rule applies to physical systems too.

If you have a computer with 1 hard drive with 1 partition of 400 GB, VMware Converter can only reduce/enlarge the size of the partition to make the resulting VMDK smaller.

If you have a computer with 1 hard drive with 2 partitions of 200 GB and 200 GB respectively, Converter can send each partitions to different data stores as separate VMDK files. Each partition can be reduced/enlarged. The resulting virtual machine will act as if there are 2 separate physical disks with 1 partition, instead of 1 disk with 2 partitions.

The problem will be how much data is on the 400 GB. If you have 1 drive with 1 partition and there is already more than 256 GB of data, you'll need a new data store of at least 400+ GB and formatted with a 2 MB block size.

0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks IamTHEvilONE.

0 Kudos