VMware Cloud Community
Bart_Simpson1
Contributor
Contributor

Image support under Linux

Hello, the convert function of images like Acronis or Symantec Ghost will only work on Windows.

It will be very nice to see that this will available for Linux to.

Are the an roadmap or something like it, for it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

Support for converting these 3rd party images requires libraries from these 3rd parties. We do not have Linux libraries for these, hence we do not yet support them. We have not yet decided what will be done in the future for Linux Converter support of importing 3rd party images. Thank you for the feature request.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can try converting those Linux images using Converter (has to be running on Windows) and it shouldwork.

However the target VM may not boot and you will have to do the manual reconfiguration step. See the KB article here for details:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1002402&sl...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Importing Acronis and ghost images works on all platforms.

Create new VM - boot into ghost or acronis CD and restore your image.

Then as a second step reconfigure the VM with Converter

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Converter can not reconfig a VM if it's Linux. The reconfiguration has to be done manually

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - we know that. Actually Bart did not say he wants to import Linux

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Oh, yes. I misunderstood his post.

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

I think the topic has diverged somewhat from what the original poster intended -- though without his response we don't know for sure. I believe his question was: "On the Linux version of Converter Standalone there is no support for importing 3rd party images (symantec, acronis, etc.). Is this planned?"

This statement is correct: the Linux version of Converter does not have this support.

And the answer to his question is: "this support is not yet planned."

0 Kudos