VMware Cloud Community
BrianZ
Contributor
Contributor

IIS admin - SSL - Crypto - MachineGUID

All,

We recently converted a web server from HyperV to VMware using converter 6.3.   We encounter following issues.

1) IIS admin - failed to start.   The same applies to SMTP service on the new VM.

2) Websites with SSL - no longer works.  I had to reinstall the same ssl certificate again in order for it to work.

3) We noticed that Machine GUID (HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid\) was changed during the conversion.  Maybe that is the source of all these problems.  Is there a way to keep the same machineGUID.  

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
8 Replies
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

I have not heard of any similar issue before. Any chance the source machine uses TPM (or any other encryption that is outside the OS)?

Posting the log bundle for this conversion might be helpful for diagnosing the issue.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
BrianZ
Contributor
Contributor

No TPM.  When the VM migrated from HyperV to Vmware, it created a new MachineGUID.  I think that was due to change of the mac address.  Is there a way to keep the same MachineGUID?   If I change the machineGUID back to the original one using registry, will it cause any issues?  Thanks

0 Kudos
i4steck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Brian

I have now had the same experience with the conversion.
The service iisadmin can no longer be started. I have tried the IP settings to take over and the MAC adjusted, unsuccessfully.
The GUID I have now taken over from the source VM and after a restart ran the service again.
Do you already have experience with this metohde?

Greetings Dominic

0 Kudos
BrianZ
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we also tried that.  That fixed issues with SSL certificates, IIS admin and SMTP services, but it created new problems for us.  For example, we have two SQl servers with always on enabled.  I was not able to failover to the converted one.  The cluster did not work, despite the same host name, same Ip address and the machineGUID.  We were concerned it might break something else.  We are using Veeam to backup then convert.  That seems to be working so far,  the machineGUID remains the same as original.  Hope that helps.

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
i4steck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your experience, this will save me some time.
If I see more problems, I will write them here.

0 Kudos
Satan023
Contributor
Contributor

TitoW
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem after coveriting a VM and the reinstallation of IIS Metabase compatibility according to article worked fine for me

0 Kudos
kemalbiyikli
Contributor
Contributor

Similarly, I converted about 90 iis, but when I did this with the convert tool, the iis service was not working properly because the uuid of the server changed. There is a solution method as described in the posts above, but since applying this on every server requires a serious effort, I did the conversion process with veeam.

I took backup of the server with Veeam.

I performed instant recovery.

I did migrate to production without power on the server.

Since the network card did not work after the conversion, I added a vmxnet3 to the server and installed vmware tools as login from the console.

In this way, all my iis servers were moved without any problems.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos