VMware Cloud Community
afeltma
Contributor
Contributor

I received an error when converting VM with VCenter Converter

I received an error when converting from VMware Workstation pro 15 to ESX 6.0

unable to create virtual machine for the following reason: 'Invalid configuration for device '2'

I am using Vcenter converter 6.2  The VM being converterd is based on windows 7 X64. The VM has two Hard drives. A C drive and a D drive.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@afeltma 

Moderator: Please try and create a thread in the area for the product used - moved to Converter Standalone Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I don't think this popular problem is related to the vDisks. First of all, I suggest removing your source vNIC before executing the convert operation. However, I don't have experience with converting failure because of vNIC, because finally, you may need to remove the old hidden vNIC and add another one. But if you check this procedure's related logs for more details, maybe we can help you better.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
afeltma
Contributor
Contributor

i will try removing the vNIC

I removed the vNIC, but it still has the issue. I read somewhere that it may be a hardware incompatibility. The VM was made with workstation Pro 15. and my VSpere is 6.0

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I couldn't find any official compatibility link, however you can try this operation with an earlier version like VMware Workstation 12. ( I'm sure it's compatible with ESXi 6.0)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
afeltma
Contributor
Contributor

I cloned the VM and using the hardware compability option. I did not get the same error. Invalid configuration for device line 25

I received a new error

Invalid configuration for device '0'

I removed the vNIC, but still received the error.

The VM is windows 7 . 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@afeltma 

Does that previous post you found answer your question and resolve your issue?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
afeltma
Contributor
Contributor

No I still cannot convert the VM after cloning with the hardware compatibility. 

I have discovered VCenter stand alone Converter will not convert it. There is a hashing issue. Workstation uses SHA256 and ESX needs it to be hashed in SHA1

I have exported the VM to an OVF, however I get an configuration error with line '0'

I have removed the vNIC 

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Did you generate your OVF file via connecting to the ESXi host or via the vCenter management? If there is not-enabled Lockdown Mode settings for your ESXi host, please try it via ESXi directly and then give back the result.

0 Kudos