VMware Cloud Community
fmiraval
Contributor
Contributor

I can't convert a machine from a remote network

Hi,
I'm no be able to convert a physical powered on windows machine from remote network.

My scenario is this:

I have Vcenter converter standalone server and client installed on a Windows 2012 server from my local network  (192.168.1.x)

I have Vcenter converter agent installed on a Windows server from a remote network (78.200.225.x). I have opened port 9089 at the remote router.

When I setup a new conversion job, I can indicate the public ip from remote router and I can indicate the user credentials  and view the source machine details, but at the following step when I indicate the network share destintaion I allways get the error "unable to connect to the network share"

This is not a problem of the network share because if I try to convert a local network machine I can do it without any problem.

Can someone tell me If I need to open more ports at the remote router or on my local router.or what is the correct way to covnert an external remote powered machine?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

You need to have connectivity from the source machine (the agent) to the network share where it will clone the data. You can verify that e.g. by pinging the destination address from the source machine.
If, perchance, the desired destination is your local machine, you need to provide a public IP. 198.168.*.* is a private network space that is not routable.

Regards

0 Kudos
fmiraval
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

And which port o ports do I have to open on my router ?
On the remote router I have opened por 9089 with nat to source computer

fmiraval_0-1669044694407.png

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hola,

It is not so much about ports as about IP addresses. If you use NAT, then in theory you could configure a specific port as representative of your destination machine's address. But then you might have other issues.

Probably the best option is to use proxy mode.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos