VMware Cloud Community
matthias91296
Contributor
Contributor

Hyper-V migrated VMs show "Inaccessible Boot Device" - only last known good configuration works"

Hell Community,

I'm working on migrating our Environment off of Hyper-V to VMWare. I did this successfully for about 85 VMs so far. I now stumbled across 2 Windows Server (2016 & 2019) VMs which boot with "Inaccessible Boot Device" after conversion. I tried all Start Options including Safe Mode, but only last good known configuration works. After boot up I can only see the C: Drive and can't see the CD ROM-Drive to install VMWare Tools. I can only make the floppy drive work - but when I want to install the SCSI-Drivers provided by VMWare it says "registry configuration databaser corrupted" - same as when I want to install it on the source machine. I also checked the BCD entried and recreated them with different rescue CDs and by hand. They all look good to me.

I now tried migrating via VMWare converter, Starwind V2v and Veeam - everytime with the same output. I even tried adding it to another VM and convert just this disk so that there is no OS running off that disk while migrating. I also tried converting just the VHD as well.

At this point I am totally stuck. I did well around 20+ converions with different settings and all.

Is there anything you can point me towards? Sure I could remake the VMs from the ground but I still have 80 to convert so I much prefer a solution to this than potentially recreate many VMs.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Obvious question, but what is the disk controller used by your original machine? In rather general terms, use the same one supported by the original virtual machine, or in any case one supported natively by that operating system.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
matthias91296
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Ferdinando,

thanks for your reply. The VM uses the Hyper-V SCSI controller - nothing that I can use in VMWare:

matthias91296_0-1701771735053.png

I don't know how to use anything different within Hyper-V - is that even a thing? Because in the VM Settings I can't seem to change the controller it should use:

matthias91296_1-1701771895191.png

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

And what controller would the converted virtual machine like to use for boot disk drives / CD-ROM drives, for the latter best use a SATA/IDE controller.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
matthias91296
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I was using the LSI SAS Controller so far - but to be honest, everything would work for me by now.

I tried using SATA and IDE anlready - no luck.

0 Kudos