VMware Cloud Community
midiboy
Contributor
Contributor

How to virtualize an Exchange Server 2003?

Hi everyone !

I have read about problems virtualizing an Exchange server:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=570484&#570484

We now need to virtualize an exchange server 2003/DC in order to build a test environment. Can I still use VMWare Converter ? Is it ok to unmount the stores on the Exchange server or will store corruption still occur ? Or how else can I virtualize an exchange server safely ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

0 Kudos
12 Replies
midiboy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

just an idea ... would it work to start the ExchangeServer/DC in safe mode (F8) ? Does VMWare Converter even run in safe mode ?

Thanks again !

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I was thinking of doing this on my DC but whats the point you may as well just boot the provided boot CD.

Although as this is for testing using convertor should be ok, your Exchange DB maybe inconsistent but it has the tools to ensure it can be made consistent again.

Dan

0 Kudos
midiboy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan,

we don´t have a BootCD. Is VMWare Converter able to work in SafeMode ?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

If you have an Enterprise license, I would cold-clone using the boot CD. It will not run in Safe Mode because the Vmware Converter agent cannot load in this mode. I just tried it and it did not work. Instead of Safe Mode you can try shutting all Service and Applications down on the server prior to converting it, including anti-virus, backup agents, etc.

0 Kudos
midiboy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

well unfortunately we do not have an enterprise license. I wonder if unmounting the exchange stores would prevent the data corruption. However, how can I shut down Active Directory ? Smiley Happy Thats not that easy I guess, the box, unfortunately is also a DC.

Thanks for checking the safemode thing Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Wow, running AD and Exchange on the same server, definitely not a good candidiate for using Converter, way too much potential for corrupting one or both of them. If you are brave and want to try it you can stop the FRS and Netlogon services in AD. I'm not really much of a Exchange person so I can't help you there.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=80661&tstart=0

fyi...if you find these posts helpful, please award points by clicking the Helpful/Correct buttons...thanks

0 Kudos
jakewilliams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did this last weekend.

Unfortunately for me, one remote office had a requirement of a DC and an Exchange Server, but we only had one server, and I was not ready to virtualize that server yet. So, I loaded Windows 2003 Server as a DC with Exchange 2003 on top of it. This past weekend I went back to virtualize the server.

I had a machine running Converter (free edition). I did not cold-boot the server, but I stopped the Exchange services and the HP management services. After doing this, I manually copied the database files to a network share. I ran converter and it went fine, no issues with AD or Exchange when I booted it as a VM.

We are not a 24x7 operation, so I knew that the server would not be used while I was doing this. If you think that there is a chance that people would be trying to use this server while you are converting it, you could always put it on a different IP segment and/or disconnect it from the main network so that you can be sure nobody is connecting to it.

Good luck!

Jake Williams

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeh stopping netlogon and the IS will work for doing Exchange.

I would always prefer using the boot cd if available just so you are covered!

Dan

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wouldn't do it with converter. Each time that I have tried, it has been a nightmare. I am a special case, however as I have around 100GB of Mailstore. I would suggest building up a new VM with 2003 and adding it to your exchange organization. From there, you can migrate mailboxes 1 by 1, until they have all moved. From there retire the old box.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
midiboy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

thanks for participating ...

jakewilliams: Thanks for that post. Did you also stop any AD services ? What services would be necessary to stop the AD databases in a clean state ?

murreyaw: The size of the databases should (in theory) not make any difference, right ? If they are shut down in a clean state and the services are turned off, it is a file like any other file ... right ? Or am I mistaken ?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In theory, sure. I tried the converter cold boot like 15 times. 14 didn't complete, and the 15th booted fine. After the 15th attempt ran for about an hour, the store became corrupt and the whole thing just decayed. It was horrid.

0 Kudos
Tom_Rothoehler
Contributor
Contributor

Personally, I like to build the Exchange from scratch to simulate a DR scenario... but what has worked well is to shutdown a physical DC (if its not a Global Catalog server or virtualized already) and clone it.

Bring up the original, and the clone on an isolated virtual switch (internal network etc). Now all you have to do is move the domain controller "hats" (GC, Domain Naming Master, RID, Infrastructure Master, PDC, etc).

Build a Windows server VM hooked up on your LAN, dump a copy of your latest Exchange backup on there (Exchange install CDs would be handy too). Switch it over to the isolated network and there you've got a perfect DR simulation.

Its good practice and also handy for keeping a virtualized Exchange server in your "back pocket".

Tom

0 Kudos