VMware Cloud Community
Ryan425
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to create a VM to store until I have access to my ESXi.

Hey,  I'm pretty new to the VM world.

I have a lab that I'm trying to take multiple Redhat and Windows computers and convert them to run on an ESXi.  The problem is that I can't have access that ESXi in that lab.  I wanted to use vCenter Converter to do a remote capture, and then save them as a file on my laptop.  Then later on when I can get access to the ESXi,  I can upload them to the ESXi.  I know that i can take an image of my own local PC and create those files for upload,  but when I tried doing a remote linux conversion,  my only option was to send it straight up to the ESXi. 

So how do people typically create VMs if they can't have access to their ESXi? 

1 Solution
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Convert to VMware Workstation format: Select a Hosted Destination

Then later you can convert from that format to ESXi.

Moderator: Thread moved to the Converter Standalone ​area, this issue has nothing to do with vCenter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi

In the 1st step, convert your physical machines to the VMware Workstation virtual machines (P2V operation) and save their related files (like *.vmdk & *.vmx) on your laptop.

In the 2nd step, bring your laptop on the ESXi connected network and then run the convert operation again (V2V) to create a ESXi compatible VM.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Ryan425
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately what I'm being asked to do is NOT an option on the menu.

"convert your physical machines to the VMware Workstation virtual machines (P2V operation) and save their related files (like *.vmdk & *.vmx) on your laptop."

It's not an option when I convert remotely, it's only an option on the combobox if I backup my local machine.  When I do a remote conversion of my Linux box,  when I get to the destination options it doesn't allow me to select "VMware Workstation virtual machines" like it does if I try to convert my local machine.  It's just not there.  I was hoping I could do that,  but its let not letting me which is the problem.

Could I have screwed up some settings or something? 

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

You cannot do Linux P2V (conversion of powered on Linux machine) to hosted (e.g. Workstation) format. You can do that for Windows, though.

What you could do for the Linux machines is to install a converter in a VM on the target ESxi and do the conversion form there. You need to ensure SSl access from the ESXi VM network to the source machine. Have a look at Remote Hot Cloning of Powered On Source Machines That Are Running Linux, it will give you the idea.

HTH,

Plamen

Ryan425
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok that helps explain why I couldn't get the option that I was expecting and was very helpful.  Unfortunately I feel like I still have the same original problem.  I can't reach the ESXi on the network, and to disconnect the ESXi and physically move it over to the source isn't ideal if an option at all. 

I wasn't part of the ESXi setup but it makes me wonder if I could somehow make my laptop act as an ESXi temporarily to use during a conversion and then send it to the real ESXi later on when I have access to it again.

0 Kudos