vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  How to convert a Windows partition to vmdk?

Posted May 12, 2011 01:15 PM

I know you can use converter to convert a physical machine to a virtual machine. But is there a way to just convert a partition to vmdk file? Like the disk2vhd utility for Hyper-v it can let you choose what ever partition to convert to a vhd file. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: How to convert a Windows partition to vmdk?

Posted May 12, 2011 01:36 PM

something like below and just thick the drive that you wanted to convert. http://virtualfuture.info/2008/07/convert-disks-vmware-converter/

• 3.  RE: How to convert a Windows partition to vmdk?

Posted May 12, 2011 02:53 PM

Thanks that's an interesting article. It looks the newest version converter 4.3 doesn't have that feature anymore! Why would they remove such a userful feature to enable convert individual partition on a hard disk to vmdk? Was there some bugs with the feature?

• 4.  RE: How to convert a Windows partition to vmdk?

Posted May 12, 2011 03:26 PM

The ability to copy individual disks still exists. Go through the wizard to the Options page. Select the Data to Copy to edit. Simply de select  the disks you do not want to copy.

• 5.  RE: How to convert a Windows partition to vmdk?

Posted May 12, 2011 03:33 PM

I know there is an option in the newest version to check individual partition. But it doesn't allow you to uncheck the C partition. All I want to do is to convert the other partitions to vmdk files. I don't want to do the convert under the context of converting a computer to a virtual machine.

• 6.  RE: How to convert a Windows partition to vmdk?
    Best Answer

Posted May 12, 2011 03:38 PM

You can still download the old version. 3.03 still has many uses and worth having for situations like yours. http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/3_0

• 7.  RE: How to convert a Windows partition to vmdk?

Posted May 12, 2011 04:25 PM

Thanks, will give it a try.