VMware Cloud Community
heistp
Contributor
Contributor

How to convert a Win XP machine to a VM in 2023

I have an old XP machine that needs conversion to a VM. Unfortunately the OS can't be upgraded due to outdated database software, which contains some critical data.

I downloaded vCenter Converter Standalone 6.3, but it doesn't install on XP. After the installer is about 98% done it can't start the services. The event viewer suggests there may be some 64-bit binaries, which obviously won't work. It's not surprising, as XP is not in the list of supported platforms. I can't find any working downloads for 6.2 or earlier.

In 2023 and beyond, is there any way to convert XP machines to VMWare VMs?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Have you thought to perform an in-place upgrade of XP to Win7 ?

It will make your life much easier.

0 Kudos
heistp
Contributor
Contributor

It's possible, but MS Visual FoxPro has to work, and I'm not sure it will.

I do see the possibility of imaging the drive offline to a VHD file, and using StarWind Converter to create the VMDK. Ideally, I'd be able to use VMWare tools to do this...

0 Kudos
DevinSoto
Contributor
Contributor

Select the menu item File > Import Windows XP Mode VM. The Windows XP Mode files you installed in the previous step will be used by VMware to automatically construct the Windows XP VMware virtual machine.
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Why not to add/attach D:\ drive to new deployed VM Windows Server 2022?

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried installing only Converter Agent on the XP machine (and the server somewhere else, on a newer Windows)? I am not sure whether it will work; Windows 2000 won't but XP might.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
wrhite2
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

The very name "standalone converter" is confusing. It leads me to expect an application that will boot and run on a PC from say a USB or CD, or even a set of floppies and then create a runnable disk image from that PC.

I have plenty of USB sticks here with various flavours of Linux installed that will boot my old laptop very well. All I want to do it stick a Vmware convertor on there as well, run it and get an image I can play with VMPlayer.

0 Kudos
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos