VMware Cloud Community
Kevin_Boyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to convert Ubuntu 8.10 to a vSphere 5.5U2 VM?

I have a fully visualized Ubuntu 8.10 server running as a Xen DomU on SLES11 SP3. I need to move it to VMware. I haven't yet played with VMware Converter Standalone but I've read the release notes for several versions and it seems the newer versions don't support Ubuntu 8.10 while the older versions don't support vSphere 5.5U2.

Is there a workaround?

Are there other conversion options?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try with 5.0.1 (not 5.0 because it will crash when you point to vSphere 5.5!). 5.1 might also work.

Longer answer: There is no explicit disabling of older GOS version in the code and they usually can be converted albeit not supported. However Ubuntu 8 is known not to work (don't remember which version since). Also Converter is usually able to point to a newer vSphere version as a destination (after fixing the bug in 5.0). Keep in mind neither of these 'usuals' is supported but with some luck you may succeed. If not, the workaround is to convert to some older ESX and then to the real destination.

HTH

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try with 5.0.1 (not 5.0 because it will crash when you point to vSphere 5.5!). 5.1 might also work.

Longer answer: There is no explicit disabling of older GOS version in the code and they usually can be converted albeit not supported. However Ubuntu 8 is known not to work (don't remember which version since). Also Converter is usually able to point to a newer vSphere version as a destination (after fixing the bug in 5.0). Keep in mind neither of these 'usuals' is supported but with some luck you may succeed. If not, the workaround is to convert to some older ESX and then to the real destination.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos