VMware Cloud Community
gallienus
Contributor
Contributor

How much space is needed to convert

I have a copy of winxp I've been using for years, it started life as a win98 install. The disk it is on is 60 GB, used space is 19.2 GB free space is 36.6. I want to convert it to a vm so I can use it under linux.

When I run the wizard and reach the source data section I select minimum size which is 21.6 GB. When I try to convert the machine it reports insufficient space. I've tried allow files to grow or allocate space now.

All I want to do is convert the machine and move the vm to my linux disk where there is plenty of space. So my question is this how much disk space do I need just to convert this machine.

Is it impossible to clone a machine onto the same disk ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
divine_kane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Try running the converter again, but this time don't change the size of your hard drive, leave this the same as it is. Then make sure that your VM image size is set to grow.

This will then create a VM Hardrive that can grow up to the 60gb HDD size, but your image will not use all this space, only what you have used at the moment (19.2Gb or less)

I'm by no means an expert on this but this is how its working for me currently.

Kane

Kane If you found my post helpful, please mark it as 'helpful' or 'correct'
0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is converter installed as a local administrator?

Are you running this as the local administrator?

Do you have a diagnostics/utility partition? If so, do not convert this partition.

What is your destination? How much space is available?

0 Kudos