VMware Cloud Community
Gangadhargaur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How much additional RAM needs to allocate to VM during P2V conversion.......

Hi,

I am new in this community......

I have 14 physical server and i want to convert them in in virtual invironment..

I have assessed the hardware utilizaiton of those server for 15 days... now i have a hardware utilization report.

Now my questoin is, how much additional memory i should assign to each and every VM..

i.e. I have a machine which is utilizing 1220 MB of RAM,, when I will convert it to virtual environment.. hw much RAM should I allocate for this.

Please provide your answer based on VMware recommendation... and with supported links Smiley Happy

Thanks in Advance...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use any number you like, it doesn't have to be in GB increments. There is the option to use GB or MB in the pull-down menu for the memory configuration.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Now my questoin is, how much additional memory i should assign to each and every VM..

i.e. I have a machine which is utilizing 1220 MB of RAM,, when I will convert it to virtual environment.. hw much RAM should I allocate for this.

Please provide your answer based on VMware recommendation... and with supported links Smiley Happy

This will depend on a variety of factors. When you say the machine is utilizing 1220 MB of RAM, is that the average or does it account for peaks? You could either size it to the average (or peak) use plus the minimum required available/free memory for the particular OS. Depending on the server and the amount of hardware monitoring agents, vendor software utilities, backup agents, etc, you may likely see less memory usage after virtualizing the server. I'm not sure that VMware has specific recommendations for this, as it will depend largely on the specific OS and applications involved. From a virtual machine perspective, you just want to make sure that you provide enough memory resources for the server to work as expected. As with all P2V conversions, no matter how you size it you will want to monitor the memory usage afterward to ensure that you didn't miss the mark either way.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
DuncanArmstrong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hey there - welcome to the forums.

Indeed you may in fact see a reduction in memory usage once virtualized. Hardware management agents are compatible with the existing physical host hardware being used, but will be irrelevant within the guest operating system of a virtual machine (in fact, I may go as far as recommend against having some of them running in case of invalid or unsupported commands/opcodes for the VM hardware).

In addition, other software that is deemed redundant or unnecessary can be stopped and later removed from the guest operating system some time after the conversion.

I know that VMware Converter by default will detect the amount of memory available to the host and allocate the same amount of RAM to the virtual machine for the conversion. VMware cannot account for the application requirements of the guest operating system through the conversion, but the advice of watching the memory footprint after deployment is sound. Watch for the amount of memory utilized after deploying and cleaning up the guest, and assign the appropriate amount of memory from there.

With that said, you'll probably want to err on the side of allocating too much RAM, than too little. ESX 4.1 offers memory deduplication and does have its own swapping mechanism available for over-committed hosts. Having the guests unnecessarily swap memory to their disks will increase SAN LUN utilization (which may be more expensive to improve, than getting more RAM for your hosts).

Hope that helps! Otherwise you could consider VMware's PSO consulting services if you have a rather large-scale deployment; they'll account for everything necessary, including individual application requirements.

Gangadhargaur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

one more small question..

Is it recommended to assign any number of RAM to VM..

i.e. My physical machine is using 1220 MB of RAM... when I will convert it to virtual.. can i assign 1220 MB or I have to assign like .. 1 GB, 2 GB... 3 GB...

Thanks..

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use any number you like, it doesn't have to be in GB increments. There is the option to use GB or MB in the pull-down menu for the memory configuration.

0 Kudos