VMware Cloud Community
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How does the syncronize feature of VMware Converter 4.2 works?

In the conter administration guide is following written:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_vcc_42_admin_guide.pdf

Page 10

You can set vCenter Converter to synchronize the destination virtual machine with the source machine after

hot cloning. Synchronization is performed by transferring from the source to the destination the blocks that

were changed during the initial cloning period. To avoid loss of data on the destination virtual machine,

vCenter Converter can shut down certain Windows services before the synchronization. Based on your

settings, vCenter Converter shuts down the selected Windows services so that no critical changes occur on the

source machine while destination is being synchronized.

From my perspective it works like following:

1.) Hot Clone from source machine to the destination virtual machine

2.) Synronization is done directly after the hot cloning, to get the delta during the initial cloning period.

Page 11

To

ensure that the destination virtual machine retains all of the blocks that changed in the source system during

the initial cloning process, turn on the synchronization feature. With synchronization on, if any changes occur

on the source machine during the initial conversion, vCenter Converter copies them to the destination machine

after the initial conversion is complete.

Which technic is use : Windows VSS Snapshot

Page 28

Limitations Related to Creating Snapshots of Windows Sources

vCenter Converter uses VSS snapshots to save the state of source volumes during hot cloning of physical and

virtual machines that run Windows. VSS snapshots are also used to synchronize the destination virtual

machine with the source machine after the initial conversion. Some of the VSS-related issues are inherited in

vCenter Converter and can prevent the proper completion of your conversion tasks.

3.) Only the combination of stopping the service with syncronization makes sense.

Page 53

You can make sure that you do not lose data from services running on the source machine. You can select

which services to stop before vCenter Converter synchronizes the data between the source and

destination machine. As a result, the services do not generate data while source and destination machines

are synchronized.

Importing a powered-on Windows machine means that vCenter Converter copies data from the source

machine to the destination machine while the source machine is still running and generating changes.

This process is the first transfer of data. You can transfer data for the second time by copying only the

changes made during the first transfer of data. This process is called synchronization.

What does the second time mean ? Can I do following :

Do at Monday from 20:00-24:00 the Hotcloning of the physical server to virtual.

Then at Tuesday 20:00 syncronize the physical server with the virtual and than shutdown the physical server .

I think this is not possible, two separte the first and the second step.

Page 55

Synchronize the Destination Machine with Changes from the Source Machine

Importing a powered-on Windows machine means that vCenter Converter copies data from the source

machine to the destination machine while the source machine is still running and generating changes. This

process is the first transfer of data. You can transfer data for the second time by copying only the changes made

during the first transfer of data. This process is called synchronization.

Synchronization is available only for Windows XP or later source operating systems.

If you resize FAT volumes or shrink NTFS volumes, you cannot use the synchronization option.

Prerequisites

Stop various source services to make sure they do not generate additional changes during the synchronization,

which could lead to data loss.

The you means that I only can do this at start time of the conversion, when the wizards to set up conversion tasks is choosen.

In all this means to me that with syncronization the maintaince window ia based on the time how long the syncronization takes and the shutdown of the physical server and the power on off the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Biliana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In Converter 4.2, the synchronization occurs right after cloning process, and thus the changes occurred to the source during the cloning period are also applied to the destination machine.Currently, with this version of Converter, it is not possible to separate the cloning and syncronization tasks (i.e. you cannot clone the machine on Monday and syncronize it on Tuesday).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Biliana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In Converter 4.2, the synchronization occurs right after cloning process, and thus the changes occurred to the source during the cloning period are also applied to the destination machine.Currently, with this version of Converter, it is not possible to separate the cloning and syncronization tasks (i.e. you cannot clone the machine on Monday and syncronize it on Tuesday).

0 Kudos