VMware Cloud Community
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How To Install vmware SCSI Drivers on a BSOD'ing VM ??? Inaccessible_Boot_Device After failed conversion

I'm trying to Convert a windows 2000 server, but the conversion fails

right towards the end- just before the vmware tools install. While

trying to boot, I recieved a blue screen with the

Inaccessible_boot_device error. I'm thinking I just need to have the

scsi drivers loaded into the VM. I saw another thread that had a link

pointing out how to do this, but the link is broken (few years old).

Any suggestions? I know the link detailed how to do with a BartPE

bootable disk. Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

First try running Converter against the VM and just select the Reconfigure task. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to do things the harder way using a BartPE or other rescue disk.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From the Release Notes of Converter 4:

Destination machines converted from physical machine sources running Windows 2000 display blue screen on startup

If the source physical machine has IDE disks and is running a version of Windows 2000 earlier than service pack 4, the resulting destination virtual machine displays the following error message on a blue screen:

inaccessible_boot_device.

The issue pertains to Windows and was fixed by Microsoft in service pack 4. For more information on this issue, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694/.

Workarounds:

■Select destination disk controller type as SCSI on the View/Edit Options page in Converter wizard.

■Upgrade the source machine to service pack 4 before conversion.

■Upgrade the destination virtual machine to service pack 4 using the Windows installation CD. For more information on in-place upgrade of Windows 2000, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292175/.

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This windows 2000 server is already running service pack 4

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm, do have any idea how exactly to do this? I try copy the converter job but it will not let me only do the reconfigure. It must make me convert a disk again ....

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you, I will try installing the rollup and restart this evening.

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also forgot to mention this is the error showing in vmware converter. This happens right as it gets to the Starting Reconfiguration portion.

FAILED: Unable to access the remote Converter Standalone Agent Service. It either does not exist or is not responding.

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I installed Rollup 1v2 and restarted the machine, but it still does not work.

I did notice during the configuration of the converter that it said the sysprep files for windows 2000 were missing. Possibly this is needed for the reconfiguration step? I downloaded what I think are the sysprep files into that folder but this is what is there ... is that right in the screenshot?

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have any links on the bartPE method? I am having trouble finding a link on the procedure to do this. I am willing to try just about anything at this point.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

One possibility is the "UltimateP2V project" - see Mike Laverick's site for the documentation and files. http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?page_id=174

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

watch the screenshots for another easy procedure with DriverInjectionGUI

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks guys! I am getting very close. I did the BartPE method to add the drivers and the machine no longer blue screens. However, it stalls part way through the startup process. I had disabled many services prior to conversion but still hangs here at the screenshot.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try /sos switch in boot.ini to see where it hangs

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I put in the /sos in the boot.ini and this is what I get now. Is it supposed to be dumping a log file somewhere that I can view?

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

on safe boot it seems to be handing on agp440.sys. I went through some steps with the recovery console and disabled the agp440, but it still doesn't boot Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

any ideas?

0 Kudos