VMware Cloud Community
chris2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hot Cloning - P2V Synchronization with vCenter Converter 4.0.1 Standalone

Hello!

I must convert the same physical machine every day. So I have installed vCenter Converter 4.0.1 Standalone. In the product overview I have read "Hot Cloning - P2V Synchronization". A scheduled or an automatic synchronization where the ideal resolution. However, I don´t find this part in the GUI program interface.

In the case, that the function "Hot Cloning - P2V Synchronization" does not work for my problem I have found a adequate topic based on schedule tasks.

A other user have post the thread “Automatically running Converter task” http://communities.vmware.com/thread/109093. The topics answerers refer to the document “[http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual302.pdf] part Appendix A” this way used the CLI interface of Converter v.3.0.1

Who are the manual for Converter v. 4.0.1? I can´t find it.

Best thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

chris2020,

Converter 4.0.x standalone sync feature is to run a second pass when the initial version is complete.

However, there is no command line feature (CLI) that will allow you to make conversions happen on a scheduled basis.

if you still want the converter manual, it's here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/converter_standalone_guide401.pdf // http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/converter_pubs.html

please note, converter isn't meant has a backup tool. you should use a backup tool that is inter-compatible with converter. that way you can backup normally, then use converter to restore to a virtual machine:

http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv401.html#interop

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

chris2020
Contributor
Contributor

My idea is to convert a physical server every 24 h to a VM , the VM should so my cold standby.

Where there other options to release my idea (e.g. third party software).

?:|

0 Kudos
chris2020
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way?

0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hello Chris. You could try using vRanger. There is a demo version available for you to test.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
chris2020
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip but I would use P2V Cloning every day.

In the past, I have also heard from a modified ConverterCD. It was a project of a VMware user.

Today I can´t find it. Can everyone remember?

0 Kudos
MarkTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you got an answer to this one yet... But Why not use converter Enterprise?

It sounds like it will to exactly what you want it to do.

0 Kudos
chris2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Thanks for your post.

I have test VMware vCenter Converter 3.0.3 (Standalone Enterprise Edition) but I have no opportunity found to creat a schedule.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

>>Not sure if you got an answer to this one yet... But Why not use converter Enterprise?

>I have test VMware vCenter Converter 3.0.3 (Standalone Enterprise Edition) but I have no opportunity found to create a schedule.

I think he meant the Converter Enterprise Plugin, which is a component of vCenter 2.5u1 and above. There is actually a Step 4 to the wizard of this to "schedule a job", which can let a specific task re-occur.

If you do not have vCenter, then you will have to manually schedule a job using a command line utility from 3.0.3 to do a full p2v.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
chris2020
Contributor
Contributor

I use VirtualCenter 2.5 U3 at the moment. I think vCenter is the new name of VirtualCenter?

Who can I find this plugin?

0 Kudos
MarkTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

It should be an option when you install the vCenter 2.5, or any of the updates. There is an option to install the patch manager, and the Converter Enterprise.

Once it is installed on the vCenter Server, you can go to the vCenter Client (assuming its the correct Version of the client) and click Plugins --> Manage Plugins

The Converter should be available. You will need to install it.

once its installed you can go back to Plugins --> Manage Plugins and click on the Installed Tab.

Check the box Enabled.

Then you can import a virtual machine by right clicking on an ESX host or a cluster and clicking "import machine"

0 Kudos
chris2020
Contributor
Contributor

There is actually a Step 4 to the wizard of this to "schedule a job", which can let a specific task re-occur.

From witch vCenter versions can I define a re-occur task?

0 Kudos
MarkTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure what versions allow for it

But The version I am currently running does.

VMware Infrastructure Client Version 2.5.0 Build 119598

VMware VirtualCenter Version 2.5.0 Build 119598

VMware Converter Enterprise plugin 4.0.2.62407

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

FYI, Converter Enterprise will not do exactly what he wants. It can indeed schedule recurring P2Vs, but these will be full clones, and will thus take as long as it does to clone the entire machine.

The P2V Synchronization feature is currently only available as part of Converter Standalone 4.0.x, and can only be used for 1-off P2Vs, not for recurring P2Vs.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos