VMware Cloud Community
808Kanak
Contributor
Contributor

Help with converting Hyper-V Vm's to VMware, considering that the VMware converter tool was removed.

We are trying to transfer our Hyper-V systems to VMware. The instructions we received recommended using the VMware converter tool to help in migrating our Hyper-V VM's to VMware.

I checked with VMware support and they said that product was discontinued with no alternative or workaround.

Are there other ways to accomplish this without the tool?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

I recommend you to migrate the VMs using the Veeam  Backup & Replication Community Edition (Free)

The idea is to backup the Hyper-V VM as a physical server, and then bring it to the VMware environment using the Instant recovery option.

You need a server, VM or PC with at least 8GB of memory and disk space (you can use an external USB disk) to install the Veeam Backup server.

Veeam  Backup & Replication (Community Edition)

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html

Physical to Virtual Migration with Veeam

https://community.veeam.com/vug-hong-kong-and-macau-81/physical-to-virtual-migration-with-veeam-2166

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported to moderators, it should be moved to the Converter Standalone area since it is not about a security advisory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos