VMware Cloud Community
kruiseri
Contributor
Contributor

Free converter question

I'm Considering moving fform Virtual Server 1.0 to the free version of ESXi.

The FAQ says that I can use the converter to convert my existing machines into ESXi format, but then the converter site says that I cannot target ESX versers with the free version but I need to enterprise version which isn't even sold separately.

So how is it ? Is there a way to convert VMWare Server 1.0 VM's to ESX3i VM's for free ?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
NPEREI
Contributor
Contributor

What about converting to local copy then upload to esxi after?

0 Kudos
kruiseri
Contributor
Contributor

Can you be more specific ?

Do you mean that I could use the free converter to copy the existing VMWare Server machines to flat files on the admin PC, and then upload those files into the ESXi to be included in the inventory ?

Could I also do that for an existing physical machine ?

0 Kudos
NPEREI
Contributor
Contributor

I don't use vmware server. but you can see if you can use converter to go from server to esx. but most likely you will have to create local copy first

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...but then the converter site says that I cannot target ESX versers with the free version...

Do you have a link to where it says that? I've been using the free version (Converter Starter) to convert several dozen machines to ESX3.5 and ESXi. Both Server1 VMs and physical machines. You can't do a_ cold clone of a physical machine_ with the free version because the boot CD is only avaliable with Converter Enterprise. But hot clones or conversion of Server1 VMs direct to ESX or ESXi is very possible with Converter3.

0 Kudos
Zas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi asatoran,

""asatoran wrote:

...Do you have a link to where it says that?""

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/get.html

Converter Editions compared - Remote conversion-Starter:

For destinations under VMware Workstation, VMware Server, VMware Player and VMware GSX Server. If VMware ESX is the destination, VMware Converter Enterprise is required.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Zas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finally,

Converter Starter (3.0.3 Bulid 89816) works with "Destination" ESXi 3.5 U2

Regards!

0 Kudos
NPEREI
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. That is the version i have been using. I was able to convert VMWARE workstation to ESXI server. Using free converter. Just don't know about converting VMWARE Server to ESXI directly though.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Yes. That is the version i have been using. I was able to convert VMWARE workstation to ESXI server. Using free converter. Just don't know about converting VMWARE Server to ESXI directly though.

I have converted Server1 & Workstation6 VMs as well as physical machines directly to ESXi and ESX3.5. All with Coverter Starter.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

>For destinations under VMware Workstation, VMware Server, VMware Player and VMware GSX Server. If VMware ESX is the destination, VMware Converter Enterprise is required.

Please note that is REMOTE conversions, the line above it states for Local conversions.

def: Remote Conversion: I installed VMware Converter onto a system, in the Convert Machine Wizard I selected the source by a IP address or Host Name.

def: Local Conversion: I installed VMware Converter onto a system, in the Convert Machine Wizard I selected "This Local Machine" or "3rd party image" as the source.

So converter should work fine for what you want to do.

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

0 Kudos
rajdude
Contributor
Contributor

Here is how I did it:

Install the Vmware converter Starter edition (free version) on the machine you wish to P2V to your ESXi server (free version).

The key is to install the converter inside the source machine. ONLY then will it let you send the P2V to a ESXi server.

If you run the free converter remotely, it will NOT allow you to connect to a ESXi server.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Asatoran

> You can't do a_ cold clone of a physical machine_ with the free version

This is not correct - you can cold-clone with the starter edition - you just can't download the iso but you can create a better one yourself easily

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos