VMware Cloud Community
dkntruck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fails at 1% with error "FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'Platform-specific error 2338' "

I'm trying to convert a physical Windows Server 2003 SP2 Web Edition with the converter  (v 5.1) and every time it fails with the error " FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'Platform-specific error 2338'

Some of the errors in the log appear to point to a disk problem but I defragmented the disk and then ran a chkdsk and the disk looks good.

I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your physical machine can not access ESX:

2013-05-25T11:07:26.602-05:00 [03816 warning 'Default'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server 10.1.2.18:902

you need to allow connection between physical machine and ESX @ port 902.

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please upload logs for check. Usually some firewall could break the connection.

dkntruck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked our firewall and we needed to allow it through. It look to be working now after we allowed port 902.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your physical machine can not access ESX:

2013-05-25T11:07:26.602-05:00 [03816 warning 'Default'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server 10.1.2.18:902

you need to allow connection between physical machine and ESX @ port 902.

HTH

0 Kudos
QNige
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue when converting a Version 1 VM to a VCenter V5 VM,  but it was caused by disk inconsistencies in the running VM.  I shut down the Version 1 VM and told the converter to use the VM files instead of the running machine.  Success.

0 Kudos