VMware Cloud Community
frank2597
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to create a clone of my Virtual machine

Hello, I am using VMware vCenter Converter to create a full clone of my linux VMware virtual machine to act as a backup. I am experiencing an error during the conversion process, the error message is: 

An error occured during the conversion: 'XXX System error should follow'

I have attached the logs to provide a more detailed view of the error. The conversion fails at 7% and i am not sure why. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

The error from the log reads:

2023-05-22T05:10:39.997-04:00 error vmware-converter-worker[19088] [Originator@6876 sub=task-24] Sysimgbase_DiskLib_Clone failed in H2HDiskCloneMgr with error 'Data error (cyclic redundancy check)' (error code:1507337)

It is kind of strange to get a CRC erro. Is it a reproducible issue or a one-timer?

Regards

0 Kudos
frank2597
Contributor
Contributor

Hi plamen_d,

the error is reproducible. I have tried several times but it always fails at 7%. I just tried it again and got the same CRC error code. 

Regards

0 Kudos
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sounds like a corruption in the original disk file 😞
0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is the first time I see such an error. It may indeed be an issue with the source disk.

On the other hand, Linux V2V just copies the files, it doesn't reconfigure. So you may just copy the whole VM directory instead of using Converter.

Regards

Plamen

0 Kudos
frank2597
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Plamen, 

My original plan was to copy the VM directory however for some reason when i try to copy and paste the file Debian_10.7-disk1.vmdk it wont work and i get the error:

"Can't read from source file or disk"

any ideas?

Regards 

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Frank

Then it really looks like some disk corruption. You might want to run chkdsk / fschk inside the GOS and in Workstation where the VM is.

Regards

0 Kudos