VMware Cloud Community
rmahfoozi
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to clone??!!

Hello,

I want to convert a Workstation VM to an ESX 3.0 VM.

I do these works in vmware converter but I got error.

1. Specify Source: I select "VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine" and then I select the .vmx file on my hard.

2. Specify Destination: I select "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine" and I enter my user and password. In the next page I decide a name and click next.

3. View/Edit Options: I dont edit anything in this section.

4. Ready to Complete: NOP!

When I click Finish the program creats the virtual machine successfully, then it starts to clone disk 0 on the virtual machine, but fails at the 8%.

the error is: Failed to clone disk 0 on the virtual machine 'xxx'.

I ping the ESX server all the time.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
22 Replies
rmahfoozi
Contributor
Contributor

I can't handle the 80Gb file so I converted to type 1 instead and the vmware-vdiskmanager program made these files: ( ready_for_esx.vmdk, ready_for_esx-s001.vmdk, .... , ready_for_esx-s021.vmdk) and I upload these files to the new VM I create on ESX server. but how should I convert these files with vmkfstools?

0 Kudos
rmahfoozi
Contributor
Contributor

Very Nice,

thank you very much, your solution worked at last!!!!

and with special thanks to SuperGrobi73 for his/her answer in this link: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/127556

at last I used vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r "full_path_to_vm\Ubuntu Server-000003.vmdk" -t 4 "full_path_to_vm\ready_for_esx.vmdk" , then I create the new VM on ESX and I copied the ready_for_esx.vmdk files to the VM folder

and used vmkfstools ready_for_esx.vmdk newVM.vmdk -i to clone the file. after that I used the above link to fix the new problem.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

oops - I had missed the fact that you were usaing ESX 3 - I thought you were using ESX 4 where editing the vmdk would not be necessary

anyway - good that it is solved now

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos