VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Failed to Convert at 2%

I'm using VMware Converter to convert a physical machine but it keeps failing at 2%. I get the followng error:

ERROR: Failed to take snapshot of a source volume.

Possible causes include not having any NTFS volumes on Windows XP or Windows 2003 source systems,

and not having enough free disk space.

I've tried running as Local Administrator when using Converter by doing "Run-As". The user I'm logged in as is also part of the administrators groups. Using the local admin is slightly better because I stopped seeing vsnap does not have permissions in my log but I'm still failing for some reason.

I've attached my log to this post. I'm also a VMware employee. Private message me if you want my work email address.

I also ran into an error earlier trying to install Converter. I got "Error 1327: Invalid drive F:\". After some Google searches, I found this Microsoft KB that solved the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327763 (Adding it here for future reference in case someone else comes across the same issue again).

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have uninstalled converter, rebooted. I tried installing an older version, 3.0.0. It installed fine, rebooted. I did all the net start tests, all services came back with " the requested service is already started". However, when I tried to run converter, the logo flashes on the screen for a second, then nothing happens. Uninstalled it, rebooted, and tried again with the same version. Same issue. So I uninstalled, and installed 3.0.2 instead. Now when I do all the net start commands, I get "the service name is invalid" when I run "net start stcp2v30". I am logging in locally on the machine and installing as local built in administrator to perform all actions.

Any advice? I'm really stuck here. Thanks.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For starters, do not be fooled - rolling back a version or two on converter will not correct anything but rather exploit you to already resolved bugs.

If this is a windows 2000 or NT4 machine, you MUST reboot after uninstalling converter and again reboot after re-installing converter.

You will need to dig through your event logs for any failed services.

Are you using the user "Administrator" or simply a member of an admin group? This plays a big role considering local/domain policies.

0 Kudos
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I did reboot before/after each install/uninstall. It is a Windows 2000 machine.

I am logged in as "administrator".

Do you think there would be a better chance of success if I use the cold clone bootable CD? If you think it could help, I may try this. Thanks.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Was there is no error within the event logs?

Yes, cold cloning is a valid option. Should resolve the failure to install our services.

0 Kudos
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor

This server reboots nightly. At bootup the event log records the following error: "The VMware Converter Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

Other than that, all the events appear to be successes. If I manually start Vmware converter service, the following Information event happens: "The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( ufad-p2v ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: ufad-p2v service started." However the service appears to have started successfully.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can I ask how you installed converter? Did you install via the .exe file or did you install via the .exe file found within the coldclone ISO? Be certain you are installing the standalone version and not the executable from within the ISO used for cold cloning.

0 Kudos
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I downloaded the converter from the VMware site and installed it. It's not the cold clone exe, the filename is VMware-converter-3.0.2u1-62456.exe.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Something is not right. I suspect your OS. Can you check to ensure you are up-2-date on all service packs, hotfixes and updates?

0 Kudos