VMware Cloud Community
tiggemann
Contributor
Contributor

Failed install after going to 97%

Since I installed the new version(39557), I have not been able to get a successful convert either. I had no problems yesterday using the previous version. I even installed it on another machine and still have issues.

Issues: pauses at 5% for a while then jumps to 97% and then fails. Converting live machine and using the VC server as the host. The live machine is 2003 standard.

Here is the error from the client log:

\[2007-02-01 11:50:49.287 'P2V' 4188 error] \[task,295] Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.CloneFault)

\[2007-02-01 11:50:49.287 'P2V' 4188 verbose] \[task,339] Transition from InProgress to Failure requested.

Here is a log entry from the conver log:

\[#1] \[2007-02-01 11:52:32.627 'App' 5736 warning] \[,0] VMHS: Failed to load vmnetMgr.dll.

0 Kudos
67 Replies
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

yeah. Thats odd that it dies at 97% with an image.

0 Kudos
orasun
Contributor
Contributor

Hands up in the air as well! I give up!! :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
Bryce_Stenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem with various flavours of image file (symantec, microsoft, storagecraft). Think I'll go try virtual pc since this seems to be an ongoing issue with the vmware converter....:-( (pity though as I did like vmware server).

0 Kudos
orasun
Contributor
Contributor

After multiple failures, I just about gave up. Then, I tried one last time, without doing anything or making any configuration changes what so ever, it worked. Confused and... yeah, confused. :_|

0 Kudos
virtuosity
Contributor
Contributor

This is not a good fix, but we moved the target machine to the same subnet as the esx server that is receiving the virtual machine, gave it an ip address from the new subnet and voila! It worked. It's not a good solution but indicates a firewall problem in most probability. We're still looking at that.

0 Kudos
BugMeNot22222
Contributor
Contributor

I tried many of the recommendations in this thread, but each time the hot conversion of my Win2K Server failed at 97%. The VM obviously would not boot after the failure.

In desperation, I clicked on the VMWare Converter main screen "Configure Machine". I followed the prompts and entered the path to the failed VM. Lo and behold the configuration finished successfully and the VM now boots!

I have done some testing on the VM, and it seems to be complete.

0 Kudos
Donald_SBC
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same problems. Did what BugMeNot22222 did and it also worked for me. Except I got an error in the Configure Machine process. But the VM did boot. The VM was W2kPro.

0 Kudos
teknurd
Contributor
Contributor

sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault

This particular fault is during the reconfiguration phase of the virtualization. I have experienced this exact issue on several Windows 2000 Server virtualizations. You should have the .vmx and .vmdk files in your destination location. Perform the following:

1. Move the .vmdk file to the working directory of a known good virtual machine

2. Edit the .vmx file of the know good virtual machine to add the .vmxd file you moved to the configuration. In the file, you will see something similar to the following:

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.filename = "windowsserver.vmdk"

in the above example, you would add the following to the .vmx file:

scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:1.filename = "filename_of_failed_virtualization.vmdk"

3. Boot the known good server. When it boots, you will notice that the problematic drive will be available. Run a chkdsk on the volume. It may require a restart.

4. After chkdsk has run, shut down the known good virtual server and move the file back to the working directory you took it from

5. Remove the configuration changes you made to the .vmx file of the known working virtual machine

6. Using Converter, run the 'Configure Machine' process on the newly repaired vmdk file. This will make the machine bootable.

7. If step #6 worked, you should be able to boot the machine successfully.

Happy Virtualizing!

0 Kudos