VMware Cloud Community
PASI01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fail to convert P2V at 3% with error. Host <IP> key can't be retrieved

The physical computer which I am trying to convert to a VM:

CentOS 6.6 running FreePBX 10.66-22

Destination ESXi host running: ESXi 5.5.0 6480324.

The middle man computer which running: VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.0.0

All of the 3 computers are on the same network without any firewall restriction.

From the vCenter server managing the ESXi host I can see the VM was created, powered on and booted to the VMware converter helper. However, it stuck at the screen. And it then fail!

From the middle man computer I see the error "A general system error occurred: Network error. Host 1x.2x.x.201 key can't be retrieved."

I already tried the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0. But it too ran into the same issue.

The below article advised to use the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.1.0. However, this version is no longer available for download.

VMware Knowledge Base

The more interesting thing is just about 6-7 months ago I was able to convert the same machine onto the same server over the same network!

Could someone please help?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PASI01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue here is that the converter us the same interface as those configured for the VM.

During the VM conversion setup wizard, if the network interface is not connected to the same network as the remaining components, the transport of the data will not happen.

VMware should have used a different temporary connection to perform the transport of the data from the source to the target VM host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

see below Link for same issue. it will help to resolve the problem

converter error "Host &lt;ip&gt; key can't be retrieved.

0 Kudos
PASI01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no block nor allow specified in the host.block or allow.

The same machine was successfully converted a few months ago.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you share converter log bundle here ?

0 Kudos
PASI01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue here is that the converter us the same interface as those configured for the VM.

During the VM conversion setup wizard, if the network interface is not connected to the same network as the remaining components, the transport of the data will not happen.

VMware should have used a different temporary connection to perform the transport of the data from the source to the target VM host.

0 Kudos
orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've done

sudo echo "ALL:ALL" >> /etc/hosts.allow

service network restart

Still no luck FAILED: A general system error occurred: connect 'x.x.x.x' key can't be retrieved. (return code 2) AT 3%

What should I check other settings?

help me please

0 Kudos
gasperino85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I solved this problem by setting in the vmware converter an ip address of the same subnet of the source vm in the part of the "helper vm network" I had also tried the previous solutions but they didn't work. I hope it helped you.

0 Kudos