VMware Cloud Community
CanMac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

Vmware conversion from XP professional sp3 to local attached USB external drive

95% completed.

Convert physical machine to virtual machine

Source type: Powered-on machine

Destination E:\

Processing the reconfiguration datastore

Error: Reconfiguration failed.

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

I am reluctant to include the TS logfiles, as they contain full username, laptop dns information. If I knew which files was pertinent, I could scrub and post.

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

This is my initial experience with Vmware.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

your boot.ini has a line that Converter can not handle

remove it and run the "configure machine" option of Converter against the VM you already have.

To do this first boot the VM that was already created into your favorite Windows LiveCD - edit the boot.ini and remove the mentioned line.

If you have no Windows LiveCD you may also be able to use your favorite Linux LiveCD.

Plan B: if you have a lot of time ... edit the boot.ini in the source machine and run the whole procedure again

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

your boot.ini has a line that Converter can not handle

remove it and run the "configure machine" option of Converter against the VM you already have.

To do this first boot the VM that was already created into your favorite Windows LiveCD - edit the boot.ini and remove the mentioned line.

If you have no Windows LiveCD you may also be able to use your favorite Linux LiveCD.

Plan B: if you have a lot of time ... edit the boot.ini in the source machine and run the whole procedure again

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
CanMac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Continuum,

Excellent. Thanks! Now I have a running virtual system.

I deinstalled the V4 of the converter (which I used for my initial attempt) replacing it with a version 3.

Then, following your advice, I modified boot.ini and regenerated a conversion.

This attempt was successful, and after following the instruction for migrating a windows PC over to my mac, I am running my virtual PC under Fusion!

Very cool.

Kudos.

0 Kudos