VMware Cloud Community
UnixGirl
Contributor
Contributor

FAILED: There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation

Hi,

I downloaded the VMware vCenter converter standalone, and already converted one physical linux box toVMware ESXi server as a guest successfully. Now I'm trying to convert the second one and it starts running but then fails with this error:

FAILED: There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation

on the pricing and licensign bit I read that we are required a license key. Any Ideas? Any one?

I do appreciate any input.

Thank you

Kathy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Kathy - welcome

that should not happen with the free Converter 4.0.1

what exactly did you try to do ?

and when does this message appear ?

Is this a message that comes from the ESXi or is it Converter itself ?

Are you using the free license version or is this a paid ESXi or within the trial period ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
UnixGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks you for the reply. The error comes from Converter, I am using a free license version of ESXi, and as I mentioned I'm converting a physical Linux to VMware.

First one went fine the second failed. Here is a screen shot.:

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

only a very small number of the Linux distributions available today are supported by Converter so it would to know which one you are talking about.

Sorry - I do not know wether the free ESXi puts a limit to such actions.

Can you temporarily use a fresh USB-ESXi-stick so that those eventual limitations do not apply ?

For Linux P2V you can always use a Knoppix with dd and adjust drivers later.

We recently discussed this with a gentoo example

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
UnixGirl
Contributor
Contributor

OK, that makes sense my Linux is version 9 probably not supported.

0 Kudos
UnixGirl
Contributor
Contributor

How do I assign points? thanks

0 Kudos
danielzt
Contributor
Contributor

I found a solution!

I had to change the number of virtual processors to only 1 and it worked fine... Makes no sense but...

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Does the ESXi host show a license for vSMP? If not, you cannot power on the helper VM with more than 1 vCPU.

Alternately, just make a blank VM (no OS) with 2vCPU and see if it powers on. If this is true, then that's the actual cause.

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos