VMware Cloud Community
PCowburn
Contributor
Contributor

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'The operation experienced a network error'

Hello all,

I have a problem converting one of my existing images and adding it to an ESXi host. I am trying to convert a Windows 2008 R2 64-bit machine.

Using the standalone converter, I connect to the .vmx file and the process starts with no problems. I leave a ping to the datastore and the ESXi host running throughout the process and the connection does not fail.

However, when the process is 17% of the way through, i receive the FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'The operation experienced a network error' message and the connection fails.

I have tried this process using another machine image (.vmx) to the same server - using the exact same procedure, and the conversion succeeds with no errors.

Is there something I need to do with the ESXi host or the vmx (vmdx HDDs) to get this process to work. I have retried the process 5 times now and get to the exact same point and size in GB of the vmdx files when it fails.

Any help would be gratefully received and I have some experiance with ESXi but don't consider myself an expert Smiley Happy so I apologise in advance for any stupidity on my part.

I have attached the log files from the ESXi (these have not been edited as these are just test systems)

Regards and thanks in advance.

Paul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi™ 4 to Converter

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Ensure your virtual machine you want to convert to ESXi is gracefully shut down and that there are no lck files/folders. POower on the VM and then shut down properly as test that the VM is working fine and repeat the conversion process.

Hope this information is useful

Nikhil

0 Kudos