VMware Cloud Community
TMCishikawa
Contributor
Contributor

Extension of Norton ghost's image file

Hello everyone.

I'd love to have your advice about Norton Ghost's image file.

I'v been asking about extension Norton Ghost's image file which is supported in vCenter converter 4.0. but I've never used norton ghost before so i couldn't tell my customer what is the supported extension of norton ghost's image file

First i thought ".gho" is it, then i read User's Guide, it says "Norton Ghost version 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 13.0, and 14.0 (.sv2i only)". Also in KB(no.1003228:".GHO image file cannot be converted), it's said that .gho file can't be converted.

Here's my question, Is .SV2I image file only supported or able to convert??? is there any other extension which is also supported?

Thank you for your advise in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

to import a gho-file create a blank VM, boot into your Ghost-CD and restore the image as usual.

Then as a second step run Converter against the newly created VM.

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

TMCishikawa
Contributor
Contributor

To: continuum

Thank you for your reply. Your suggestion is using Ghost Boot-CD and gho image, isn't it?

My question has been changed a bit since i got a new information from Symantec customer center. (situation is more complicated now)

Operator from Symantec customer center says, ".SVI file is only one can be converted to virtual machine. we do not support .sv2i file for converting to VM".

However VMware's manual says ".sv2i file is only one for converting to VM". VMware and Symantec says totally different things.

So now I can't give my customer right answer...

Any information???

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

The documentation is still wrong. Ghost version 11 & 11,5 images are not supported because it is in the same gho format as version 8 & 8,5 and are not directly convertable.

Symantec's buildt-in converter wizard is not the same as vmware converter. Whether symantec's wizard supports the .svi format, I don't know, but the svi2 is supported by vmware.

How hard can it be to actually remove 2 letters and a comma from the documentation anyway??

Joakim

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

This ghost discussion starts to become entertaining after so many repetitions Smiley Wink

Many users really seem to regard running Converter as an art in itself instead of seeing it just as a tool.

Everybody knows how to create a backup and restore it with his favorite software.

With P2V the restore just goes into a VM instead of a real metal machine as usual.

This seeems to be very confusing Smiley Wink

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

TMCishikawa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all!!

Things became much clearer now.

0 Kudos