VMware Cloud Community
NeoTitan
Contributor
Contributor

Experimental Support

Hi all,

I´ve read in VMware documentation that Converter Enterprise Update 4 has experimental support for (Linux, Windows NT 3.x, Windows 98...).

It says "if the source image contains unsupported hardware, you might need to modify the configuration of the destination virtual machine before using it", what is the reason by the unsupported source hardware is a problem? I guess the destiation hardware is the problem, don´t I?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

The destination server cannot be a problem as its the virtual hardware on top of which the VM will reside. Many a times its found that the Guest OS works on the spcified hardware and wont work when migrated onto another server. This is the only reason it is mentioned as Unsupported source

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
NeoTitan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

first of all thank you for your answer.

What do you mean "Many a times its found that the Guest OS works on the spcified hardware and wont work when migrated onto another server"? We have the same problem with supported Guest OS, don´t we?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Yes say for e.g we are using RHEL 5 and we compile the kernel as per hardware...later when we try to move such OS, it will fail to load as it wont get the specific hardware it is compiled on.....hope this clarifies the same.....

Regards

Anil

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
NeoTitan
Contributor
Contributor

So I understand that is problem of drivers, don´t I?

Sorry, I insist, this problem we have with a supported guest OS, doesn´t it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Yes, it could be problem with the drivers too.....if its the supported os, it should not be any problem....

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos