VMware Cloud Community
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Estimated transfer speeds and process

I know 'it depends', but i'm interested to know what transfer speeds people are seeing between source and destination.

I also wanted to check that the transfer goes directly from the source to the destination server, not via the converter if running on another machine in the middle.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Exactly, even if you select VirtualCenter as a destination the Source computer initially contacts the VC server (to create the VM) but the actual data copy is between the source computer and ESX directly (destination).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are several factors that will determine your transfer speed:

1) NIC speed, obviously Gigabit will be faster then 100mbps

2) Duplex, make sure your server NIC and your physical network ports match, otherwise you will have slow transfer speeds. I usually set both sides to Auto/Auto before the transfer.

3) Copy method, if you re-size disks you will be doing a file by file copy (slower, but less data to copy) instead of a block by block copy (faster).

4) Size/# of files (file by file copy method only) - a large number of smaller files will take longer to copy then a smaller number of large files

In my experience I usually see about 10-12GB an hour copy speeds on 100Mbps connections. The transfer rate will vary during the copy as it goes from copying large files to smaller ones.

thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cheers, regarding the direct transfer of data is this the case?

It goes straight from the source to the destination.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Exactly, even if you select VirtualCenter as a destination the Source computer initially contacts the VC server (to create the VM) but the actual data copy is between the source computer and ESX directly (destination).

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Brilliant, case close.

Thanks

0 Kudos