VMware Cloud Community
weisenberg
Contributor
Contributor

Errors using Converter 3.03 for V2V

I am trying to use Converter 3.03 to change my MS Virtual Server guests to VMWare guests. I am running Converter on Win2K3 R2 SP2 (x64). It seems to get about 99% of the way through and then fails with an "unknown error" returned by the Converter Agent. The last thing in the log file seems to be:

Update File system32\drivers\symmpi.sys

Checking if WINDOWS\system32\drivers\symmpi.sys exists...

WINDOWS\system32\drivers\symmpi.sys does not exist!

Unable to find symmpi.sys in the specified CAB files

UfaSysReconfig::task::task step "applying reconfigurations" destroyed Rolling back the reconfiguration transaction... Debug Disposing RegistryHive ... object explicitly disposed: fileRegistry={virtVol={computer={513e353570f9b955908cfd03127f46f23fbea58a},0}},WINDOWS\system32\config\System.reconfig Deleting pending files... Deleting pending WINDOWS\system32\config\System.reconfig Deleting WINDOWS\system32\config\System.reconfig Deleting pending WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vmscsi.sys.reconfig Deleting WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vmscsi.sys.reconfig Writing the undo log ... Debug Cleaning up temp directory C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-temp\vmware-SYSTEM\sysReconfig ... UfaSysReconfig::task::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.FileNotFound UfaSysReconfig::task::task: SetState to error

Remote task UfaSysReconfig::task::task completed Waiting for updates from UfaSysReconfig::task::task Got an update from UfaSysReconfig::task::task

Cleaning up remote task UfaSysReconfig::task::task Disposing task wrapper for task UfaSysReconfig::task::task object explicitly disposed: UfaSysReconfig::task::task

Debug

Debug

Debug

Disposing RegistryHive ...

object explicitly disposed: fileRegistry={virtVol={computer={513e353570f9b955908cfd03127f46f23fbea58a},0}},WINDOWS\system32\config\System

Debug

Info

UfaSysReconfig::task::task being destroyed VmiReconfigTask::task step "Reconfigure VM" failed Reporting image processing task failure for task UfaSysReconfig::task::task

ImageProcessingTask FAILED. Fault name: sysimage.fault.FileNotFound

What file am I missing that is making this conversion fail? What other logs or other output can I look at to find the cause and fix this? I have a lot of machines to convert and this is not encouraging. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you talking about a 2k sp4 system ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
weisenberg
Contributor
Contributor

The guest OS is Win2K3 server, SP1. I hadn't turned it on in a while, and it seems that it's a sysprep'ed image of Win2K3 SP1. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I will try to test conversions on a couple of other images and see if they have the same problem. In the meantime, how would you troubleshoot this, anyway?

0 Kudos
leofonic
Contributor
Contributor

In the release notes there's a section "The source virtual machine does not have the appropriate drivers" that seems to apply.

0 Kudos
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

leofonic is correct. This has been observed in several 2k3 Microsoft VMs (VPC, VS). Unfortunately converter cannot do any magic here. You either need to provide the drivers or the OS needs to have them.

0 Kudos