VMware Cloud Community
assenet
Contributor
Contributor

Error when i try to converter a windows 2003 server

Hi friends, i´m trying to converter a windows 2003 server SP1 - BR in a virtual machine but i have problem all the time.

My server is Pentium III 1.0Ghz, 768RAM, and we have 3 phisical scsi disk. In 1 disk we have 16,9GB with 9,27GB free space, in another 16,9GB with 973MB free space and in last 33,8GB with 25,6GB free space.

My system is installed in the first disk that have 9,27GB free space.

I send in this message the log error.

If anybody undestand this log, please help me

Thanks a lot

Vitor

0 Kudos
8 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Image processing task has failed with PlatformError fault: 23

You can see exactly what "23" means as it is actually a passthrough error from Windows.

C:\>net helpmsg 23

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv302update1.html

Hot clone of Windows operating system fails

A local or remote hot clone of a Windows operating system to a virtual machine fails with the following error message: Image processing task has failed with Platform Error fault: 23. This message indicates a hardware failure error, which causes VMware Converter to stop cloning.

You can try a "chkdsk /R" on all partitions.

If the fault resides on free space, this can be avoided by resizing the partition smaller by at least 1mb in size. This forces a file-by-file clone thus working around free disk space.

0 Kudos
assenet
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks a lot, i´ll try to do that in the night because now is impossible, all the people are working. Before, i have tried this command chkdsk /F but the problem still persist. So, after the command, i´ll post the result. Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
assenet
Contributor
Contributor

Hy buddy, i tried to do this, but, i still don´t get to do the converter of my server. I put the log in this message. The error occur in always 2%. I think that is the same error.

To correct this, i think to put another hard disk in the server and copy all data to this hard disk and then make the converter if the problem is the bad sector in hard disk, what do you think? Do you know a best solution?

Thanks a lot

Vitor

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Honestly, there is not much more I can suggest. This error is even printed on our release notes for converter as we simply cant work around it. The above workaround works for some and fails for others.

The last thing you can try is imaging the disk with a program such as ghost/acronis/symantec/etc. Then restore that image into a VM. Do not power on that VM (or get a blue screen), but instead, run converter's "configure machine" wizard on it. This might work. however, Ive seen this error also arise as a similar error in the chosen imaging software. still worth a try.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If everything else fails - try Roadkils unstopable copier

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Great find continuum.

0 Kudos
assenet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi buddy, thanks a lot. I resolv the problem with the tools SCSI of my hard disk. Now i get to convert my server and is working in the vmware.

But one doubt, how can i install a cdrom in the vmware, because i try to install the vmware tools and i can´t because i don´t have a cdrom in the server.

One more time thanks a lot

Vitor

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should still be able to add a virtual CDrom to your VM. And have it work with ISOs.

Add the CDROM

power on the VM

rightclick - install tools

in your VM, browse the CDROM drive letter

0 Kudos