VMware Cloud Community
raghaoty
Contributor
Contributor

Error virtualizing physical machine

Hi

I am trying to virtualize a physical machine which runs centos.

It gives me an error

"There is no '/boot' directory mounted on the source machine. It is required to create a bootable virtual machine"

When I checked I have my /boot mounted

/dev/md126 is mount to /boot...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is that software RAID?

Unfortunately Converter does not support software RAID (actually /dev/md devices), it's in the release notes.

0 Kudos
raghaoty
Contributor
Contributor

What else can be the solution.....

0 Kudos
Ariel_Herrera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi raghaoty, yes there is a solution , one that is not simple ; I used it a few years ago :

The idea is to put and set a new non-RAID disk /dev/sda1 the boot from  Linux CD, and make a hard copy of all the data " / " to /dev/md *, finally you have to change the partition table, the process is not simple and can cause system errors, you can also try a clean installation of OS to get the info since then RAID partitions.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can suggest another idea, a little easier, but can you should still be careful.

Copy the content of the '/boot' volume somewhere else, unmount /boot, and copy the data to the directory. The catch is that the root volume must be a basic one or the boot loader must be GRUB2 (legacy GRUB can't boot from logical volumes). You can try to convert it and then get the source machine as it was. No guarantee though.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos