VMware Cloud Community
emashaal1
Contributor
Contributor

Error using converter to V2V from file share to esx

I was able to sucessfully hot convert a physical machine to file share.

When I go to convert it into ESXi the conversion fails with error:vmware converter agent system error.

also in virtual center I see the vm it attempted to create as orphaned unknown.

source .vmx is about 280gb destination has about 450gb free. Is the problem disk space? or is there something else. I dont really know how to read the log files to get a better understanding.

Anyone run into this type of problem?

Well I think I solved my own problem and answered the question at hand. It is a disk space issue. Reading the log file line by line showed me that this is the problem.

log location

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp\1\vmware-temp

849] Waiting for a task to complete...

CreateVm task failed: A general system error occurred: The file is too big for the filesystem

0 Kudos
3 Replies
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like you have a 256GB max vmdk size because of the block size you selected when formatting the LUN on ESXi. You may format the LUN using a larger block size, and that would allow for the creation of a larger vmdk file.

-geob

0 Kudos
emashaal1
Contributor
Contributor

Geo thanks a million......

that sounds like the right advice!

ahh the labor to move all the VMs off to reformat the lun is no fun. Anyway thanks a million!

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Take a look at page 3 of the Configuration Maximums doc. It has the max files size listed for the block size that was used when the vmfs was created.

geob

0 Kudos