VMware Cloud Community
morningwood
Contributor
Contributor

Error starting VM after conversion

I just converted my first physical server to a virtual. The conversion process completed successfully. I copied the files over to my Linux box running Virtual Server 1.4, which is running another VM ok, but when I try to start the converted VM I get this error:

The process exited with an error: End of error message.

I thought maybe it was a setting issue, as it was trying to use 2 procs and more memory than was available. I've updated all the settings, but still having the same problem.

Any ideas???

Thank you in advance,

Joe

0 Kudos
6 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Set the CPU count back to what it was or else you might find performance issues (HAL mismatch).

Can you attach both the vmware-converter-#.log file and the vmware.log files and a screenshot of the error?

vmware-converter.log is available in the Source Physical Machine OS’s temp directory (C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-temp)

vmware.log is available in the directory of your vm-server VM.

0 Kudos
morningwood
Contributor
Contributor

Please find two of the requested files attached. I was unable to find the vmware.log file you requested. I'm running vmware server 1.04 on linux ubuntu 7.10. I searched the whole server and didn't find the file...

Let me know if there's any additional information that would help you help me Smiley Happy

Joe

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The converter logs tell me that the machine was converted without error.

The vmware.log file should be in the directory for which this virtual machine is running from. You might also want to include the .vmx file (also located in that directory). If you do not know the directory, it should have mention of this on the VM's description or edit settings.

Do any virtual machines run without this error? Where are those virtual machines located and where is this one located?

Can you try creating a new virtual machine, move the .vmdk files to that new virtual machine's directory, and when prompted for the virtual disk creation, simply point to these .vmdk files. If that works, clean up by removing the original directory.

0 Kudos
morningwood
Contributor
Contributor

I have another VM running just fine on this server. I don't see a vmware.log file for it either. They are both located in a folder named after the server in my /data/vm folder. When I originally copied this new vm there was a permissions / ownership issue, but now the permissions and ownership match that of the working VM.

I will try creating the new VM as suggested and let you know what happens.

Thank you again for your help.

Joe

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What files do you see in the VM's directory? Make certain you are able to see hidden files:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

0 Kudos
morningwood
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all your help. It turns out that my other VMs are no longer running and I get the same error when trying to start a freshly created one. Sooooo, it looks like there's something wrong with my VMware Server now.

Thanks anyway.

Joe

0 Kudos