VMware Cloud Community
woodsp
Contributor
Contributor

Error message when VMing a server in our DMZ

Hello,

I have opened ports 139,443, 445 and 902 between the DMZ server and my internal network to enable me to use the VMware Converter program.

I can connect to the server in the DMZ when I run the VMware Converter and display its disks. I can connect to the Host inside our network and it shows me the available datastores. When I try to select the appropriate datastore I get an error message - see attached file. I have tried both the Enterprise Converter built into the Virtual Center as a plug-in and the stand alone VMware Convert - the message is the same in both. I am running the following versions of VMware on the Host and VirtualCenter and VMware converter (enterprise and standalone) - ESX Server 3.5.0, 130756 and VirtualCenter 2.5.0, Build 119598 and Converter Enterprise 4.0.2.62407 and standalone 3.0.3 build 89816

The VMware Client log file on my PC, where I'm running the conversion from, contains the following relevant info, including the error message :-

Starting execution of a Task

Successfully connected to VMImporter

Successfully connected to VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Start managed object method for task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Waiting for updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task (Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Got an update from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Waiting for updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

(Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Remote task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task completed

Waiting for updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Got an update from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Cleaning up remote task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Disposing task wrapper for task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Task failed: P2VError IMPORT_DEST_MANAGED_HOST_NOT_FOUND()

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

What am I doing wrong, what do I need to change?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Reply
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Woodsp,

This to me seems like a DNS problem. At several steps Converter will do a DNS lookup and use the first IP address that is returned to it. There is no magic fix for this since I don't know you exact networking setup (ESX could have multiple IP addresses registered on different networks, DNS server might be different for different networks etc.). However the following should help:

- Install standalone converter on the physical machine that you are trying to converter

- Provide IP address of your ESX server (which is rechable from the phsical machine) as destination instead of the hostname. Also make sure you can telnet to <ipaddress>:443 and <ipaddress>:902 from your physical machine. This will ensure that these ports are accessible.

0 Kudos