VMware Cloud Community
MikeTedescucci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error message: "Unable to find the server name ."

After selecting all of the options in the first section Source[/b] and getting to Step 2. Destination[/b] after I choose the datastore I want to place the converted machine on I get the following error:

[b]Unable to find the server name . Please verify that the server name is correct and try again.[/b][/i]

Does anyone know why?

Thanks,

mike

By the way, i have the Enterprise Version.

Message was edited by:

MikeTedescucci

0 Kudos
27 Replies
ReggieSmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem. Putting in the FQDN for my destination resolved it.

I found that odd since it found it to begin with, let me choose datastore, etc.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

This is almost always DNS related, if you check your converter logs in %windir%\temp\vmware-temp it will tell you what it is failing on. If your destination is a Virtual Center server it will initially connect to the VC server and then connect to the ESX server you choose. Make sure your VC & ESX server are in DNS.

0 Kudos
juhan
Contributor
Contributor

Both my VC & ESX are correct in DNS but I still have this problem. Weird.

0 Kudos
PhilipG
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem with one server, I have tried using the FQDN, Short name, IP address checked DNS, cannot see anything helpful in the vmware-converter log. Every other server I have migrated so far has gone fine.

0 Kudos
MikeTedescucci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it IP port related? It turns out I had all of the correct ports open to the machine that I was running the Converter to, but it also has to have port 902 open to the destination ESX server...

0 Kudos
PhilipG
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure that is the solution is for everyone as i said before i am have been able to convert a number of machine and can still continue to convert other machines without any problems. My only problem is converting one Windows 2003 machine

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone get an answer to this - is it firewall related? Which ports are required? and from where vcenter server - host - source machine running convertor?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

What TCP/IP ports are used by Converter?

Converter uses the following ports:

• Converter application to remote physical machine - 445 and 139

• Converter application to VirtualCenter Server - 902

• Converter application to ESX Server 3.x - 902

• Physical machine to VirtualCenter Server - 902

• Physical machine to ESX Server 3.x - 902

When you select VirtualCenter as a destination and then chose a ESX host, Converter will first make a connection to VirtualCenter and then the ESX host, so you will need to make sure these ports are not being blocked for both the VirtualCenter server and ESX server.

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes thats the answer - Thanks

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

I to just encountered this after successfully doing a conversion on a Windows 2003 server right before.

I would assume if it was a port blocking issue then it wouldn't have worked for the first machine right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Talisman_House
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing the same situation - I have used the VMware Convertor tool on 17 other physical servers before our problematic server(and 5 others since!)

Getting the same error message as above - the physical server and ESX Host has port 902 open and yet we cannot get the software to run using either the FQDN, or IP.

Please can you advise?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Check the convert logs in %Windir%\temp\vmware-temp and look for what it is trying to find, you should see a more specific error. Is your destination VC or ESX? Also do you have the Windows Server and TCP/IP Netbios Helper services running? Do you have ports 445 and 139 open also?

You can use Tcpview on the source server to see exactly what server and port it is trying to access when it fails, it's a great troubleshooting tool.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

I checked the logs, but couldn't really make sense out of them. The destination is ESX host. Those services are running.

Regarding those ports, if I just did a conversion fine would that tell me that the ports are opened?

I used the TCP view program and it looks like the connection is being established.

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

Well I fixed my issue.

I loaded VM Converter on the physical server and then ran the import and it worked.

Could it have anything to do that this machine wasn't joined to a domain and the others were?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

If you are running it remotely then you have a extra server in the mix. If it wasn't joined to the domain it probably could not connect to the server you were were trying convert through Netbios. Is your remote server using WINS/DNS servers that are part of the domain or know about the domain? From the remote server can you browse to the source server using
servername?

0 Kudos
tow-eric
Contributor
Contributor

Remote server is using the same DNS server as the other server(s). Same subnet everything. From the remote server I can ping the source using name and IP.

0 Kudos
Talisman_House
Contributor
Contributor

The destination is VC or ESX server - neither works!

Windows Server service and TCP/IP Netbios Helper are both running and ports 445 and 139 are open on the destination server..

??

0 Kudos
Talisman_House
Contributor
Contributor

Continuing with the rest of our designated servers without any problems, this is frustrating!

Same server refuses to "find the server"

0 Kudos
bobvance
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you specify the ESX destination by name, the \*source* computer being converted (where the vmconverter agent is running) needs to be able to resolve this. I had a case where the ESX server was in a different DNS (sub)domain from the source computer being converted and I was not using a FQDN for the ESX server name. The computer where vmconverter was being run was in the ESX domain, and could use the simple name fine, but the remote source could not. Changing to the FQDN fixed it.

bv

0 Kudos