VMware Cloud Community
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

Error converting a physical machine

When I try to convert a physical server I get the following errors.

2008-05-06 15:54:31.754 'P2V' 2168 info] Connecting to IPC$ on RCMDTI as RCM\administrator

Successfully connected to IPC$ on RCMDTI

Connecting to , use SSL: true

Failed to connect to . Reason: The system cannot find the file specified. . Error code: 2.

Starting ufad-p2v on RCMDTI

Failed to open service handle to with access level 983103: 1060

Failed to startup VMware Converter Agent service on RCMDTI. Reason: Service control manager error.

Unable to start ufad-p2v service

Failed to connect to . Reason: The system cannot find the file specified. . Error code: 2.

Failed to startup VMware Converter Agent service on RCMDTI. Reason: Service control manager error.

Giving up trying to connect to

Shutting down VMDB service...

Unregistering callback...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Reading 5% of a log file is like solving a mystery. I do not know what version of converter, what OS of windows, if the source is a physical or virtual or image nor what the target is (desktop or enterprise).

vmware-converter.log is available in the Source Physical Machine OS’s temp directory (C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-temp)

Could you please attach the vmware-converter-#.log file(s) so we can better understand the failure?

0 Kudos
javrob
Contributor
Contributor

There is the file

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Almost there ...

vmware-client.log (capture a record on the source)

- Contains actions taken on the Converter application are written here.

- Does NOT contain import/reconfiguration information

- Is stored under the user’s (the user who ran the Converter Application) temp directory.

vmware-converter.log (capture a record on the system where Converter is installed)

- Contains information regarding the import/reconfiguration steps taken by the agent when converting the physical/virtual machine.

- Is available in the Source Physical Machine OS’s temp directory (C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-temp)

What I need to see is the vmware-converter-#.log file, not the vmware-client-#.log file.

0 Kudos
rockster2008
Contributor
Contributor

Am not impressed with VMware workstation 6 so far. Have been trying to convert a window 98 machine all day.

Have tried running converter remotely, installing agent locally, nothing will install.

I have a very similar error message so yours, did you find the answer?

0 Kudos
ryan_gallagher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

rockster2008 wrote:

> Am not impressed with VMware workstation 6 so far. Have been trying to convert a window 98 machine all day

If you check the manual for VMware Workstation 6.0.x you should see that Windows 98 is not supported by the integrated Converter wizard. This integrated Converter supports Windows NT sp4+.

Your best bet for Converting a physical Windows 98 machine is probably to try a cold clone of it via a boot cd. Converter provides one via enterprise licensing, but I believe there have been other solutions for this presented on this forum. Another solution is to take a back-up of the machine using a supported back-up image format -- check the manual again on this for the specific supported back-up formats and versions as well.

Workstation 6 has several amazing features, and I hope after experiencing them you'll come around on this product. But yes, you'll need a VM first. I hope this helps with your conversion.

0 Kudos
rockster2008
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response. I saw the following in the online converter documentation: "Support for the following guest operating systems is Experimental. VMware Converter 3 can clone source images containing these operating systems, but the destination virtual machine may or may not work without additional configuration after import. In particular, if the source image contains unsupported hardware, you might need to modify the configuration of the destination virtual machine before using it:

Linux

Windows NT 3.x

Windows ME

Windows 98 "

And thought that by the statement "VMware Converter 3 can clone source images containing these operating systems" meant it would work (clone) Windows 98 but may need some tinkering to get it to run Virtually. Is there an old version of the converter (I think it was called p2v) that DOES support Windows 98? The reason I bought workstation 6 was so I can run my legacy PC images virtually.

0 Kudos
ryan_gallagher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a previous version that supports Win98 for hot-clone. Even the old P2V Assistant, which is the precursor to Converter did not.

http://www.vmware.com/support/p2v21/doc/p2v2_supportmatrix.html

What the text you've quoted is saying is that a disk-based clone of a source image may work, but that reconfiguration of the guest OS may be required to get it to boot in a virtual machine. There's a few things to work through here:

• The confusing bit about the text you've quoted is what is meant by
    "source image". What is meant is a backup image or raw disks via a
    cold-clone. There is no support for hot-cloning a Win98 because there
    is basically no way to get an "image" from it.

• In order to get disk-based cloning you'll need to follow one of the
    suggestions from my previous post. Either use a supported backup
    product and version on your machine and use the result of it for the source image,
    or do a "cold-clone" conversion via a boot cd. Though somewhat difficult, it is possible to wrap a backup image in vmdk or create a vmdk by hand, and this is the bit that would require additional reconfiguration as Converter would have done it for you as part of the conversion. Workstation doesn't have a reconfigure-only option though, but the free standalone Converter application does just for cases like this.

• When you "hot-clone" a running machine, it will either do volume-based or file-based cloning but not disk-based. Even volume-based cloning however requires that an VSS snapshot be taken, which isn't possible in Win98. For WinNT/2k a special snapshot driver is used, but I don't know if this would work with Win98 either.

If you don't have a supported backup product already, then going with a BootCD may be your best option. However, unless you also happen to have an enterprise license for Converter it won't be readily available for you. Smiley Sad

However, there are people who have worked around this using BartPE and Converter Starter Edition. I would search the forums for solutions to this. A quick search pulled up this thread in which people had done this successfully: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/60667 . It might require a bit of tinkering to do youself, but is probably not extremely difficult if you can find a step-by-step guide. Just note the Windows licensing restrictions if doing this.

Well, I hope this helps get you going in the right direction at least. Good luck!

0 Kudos