VMware Cloud Community
newbie100
Contributor
Contributor

Error at 96% converting Physical Linux machine to ESXi using latest converter

Hi,

I am running the latest ESXi on a Dell poweredge 1950 and was attempting to convert a Linux machine.

After 96% I get an error

Failed to Clone the volume mounted on "/" on x.x.x.x

The Linux machine has a 72GB hdd and is running CentOS 4.5. I am running the converter from /root (although the actual files are in /usr/bin) and have exported the

display to a PC.

Has anyone faced this problem ? This is my first attempt to clone a Linux machine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You probably encountered the problem of sparse file not handled properly during conversion.

There is information in our release note/ user guide about how to handle this.

And if you want, you can upload the logs of the failed conversion so that we can take a look

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

This is the link to the KB article about this:

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
newbie100
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the helpful tips.

I am currently trying again, this time running from a remote PC.

What if I used Norton Ghost to clone my disk ? Does that have a better success rate given that its a complete disk image from a cold machine ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

I don't know about the success rate, but it would require you to perform reconfig manually. You could follow this KB article, though it is specific to RHEL:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002402

newbie100
Contributor
Contributor

I gave it another go, this time running the conversion from a WinXP PC... and it worked !!!! Its AMAZING !!!!

(I did not change any setting to allow sparse files etc)

I did have to go and do some minor reconfig in Kudzu, but that is to be expected as the NIC cards / USB controllers / Video Controllers did change

Thanks guys !!

0 Kudos