VMware Cloud Community
jmclain
Contributor
Contributor

Error: Unable to determine guest operating system

I'm trying to use VMware Converter 3.0.1 to create a VM from the local physical machine. It's a Windows 2003 Server running on Sun hardware with storage on a fibre channel box. The server runs just fine but is underutilized so we'd like to virtualize it and another machine and drop them on the same box.

When I tell Converter to import the local physical machine and it wanders off to check the OS, it comes back with "Unable to determine guest operating system" and gags.

I appeal to the collective wisdom of the VMTN Discussion Forum. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance -

Joe.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
totofrag666
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

i got the same probleme when i tried to convert from the cold cd a 2003 srv with sql2005

i tried to convert from the network and it worked fine !!!!!

good luck !

0 Kudos
jmclain
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried it from the network and received the same error.

I'll also throw out the fact that the server was set up using dynamic disks (but no software RAID). Here's the boot.ini since it appears that it's featured prominently in similar posts:

\[boot loader]

redirect=usebiossettings

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

\[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise"

/fastdetect /redirect /NoExecute=OptIn

Thanks for the idea. I'm still open and, short of animal sacrifice, willing to try just about anything.

Cheers -

Joe.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you install converter 3.0.1 directly to the source physical machine using the local administrator (not a domain administrator or a member of an admin group).

FYI: software raid/mirrors are not supported. you will need to break them if that is the case.

0 Kudos
jmclain
Contributor
Contributor

I installed Converter as the domain administrator. If you really think it's worth my uninstalling and reinstalling as the local administrator, I'm willing to try it. I've logged as a domain admin on another computer on the same subnet and domain and tried hitting it across the network and ended up with the same error.

I'm not using software RAID so I think I'm okay there. I thought I'd throw out the fact that it was set up in Windows with dynamic disks just in case that threw a wrench in the works. I'd hope not since it's a fundamental piece of the Windows architecture and, while we rarely even convert disks from basic to dynamic (I have no idea why it was done on this computer), it could be very useful in some environments. The idea that converting disks might destroy all chances of virtualizing via VMware is not comforting.

Still standing by...

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can not guarentee that switching to a local admin will fix your issue, however we have seen many cases that have been successful simply by using a local admin.

Try to always log in as local administrator for several reasons:

1. A domain administrator may be restricted from installing and running services, which Converter needs to do for its agent.

2. Once you have converted the machine, the first time you log into the VM, there is no network connection. Unless you cache credentials, you will need local access.

3. Administrator will ensure that you have the necessary privileges for installing and updating the registry.

Having dynamic disks without software raids enables should be fine as long as you are using specifically converter 3.0.1

If you could take the time to get this reinstalled as the local admin directly to the machine - and it does fail again. Simply produce the newest vmware-converter#.log file at http://pastebot.nd.edu/perl and return the URL and I will take a look to see what may be the issue.

0 Kudos
jmclain
Contributor
Contributor

As an update to this, I've tried it using the local administrator account and received the same results.

Does anybody know what it actually tries to do during this phase? It seems like looking up the OS should be a simple matter of checking a registry key. Is it also probing hardware or something? If so, that might explain why it's having a hard time putting two and two together.

Thanks again -

Joe.

0 Kudos
Rob_Convery
Contributor
Contributor

I found that V3.0.0 worked fine but now I have updated to V3.0.1 and its showing this problem. Unfortunatly I can't seem to get 3.0.0 back as it says beta expired now.

0 Kudos