VMware Cloud Community
infran2hw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error: Unable to connect to the Converter helper server on the destination virtual machine.

Hello!

I am using Vcenter Converter Standalone (6.2.0-build8466193) to convert a rhel5.5 to a VM, I've checked the portgroups that needs to be avaiable (TCP/UDP:22;443;902;903;137;138), logging with root via ssh works fine, on Vcenter the VM is created, installed and keeps on converter screen at least for 2 hours, than the error is prompted (Error: Unable to connect to the Converter helper server on the destination virtual machine.). On the source the /tmp is on write

I checked the logs, but no known issued helped figure out what's wrong, could anyone help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i see ssl problems in your logs - try to disable encryption for the converter: VMware Knowledge Base

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Configure the Network for the Helper Virtual Machine

When you convert a powered on Linux machine, Converter Standalone creates a helper virtual machine on the destination. The helper virtual machine needs network access to the source machine to clone the source files. By default, the IP address of the helper virtual machine is assigned by DHCP. Default conversion settings enforce automatic acquisition of an IPv4 address, IPv6 address, and a DNS server for the helper virtual machine, but you can set up this network connection manually.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
infran2hw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Mr, AlessandroRomeo68​.

Thanks for your attention replying on this, the thing is, I've manually set the same range IP that the host had on the helper, example: host 10.1.100.131 / helper: 10.1.100.135. And still having the same error, all the ports needed are allowed (TCP/UDP:22;443;902;903;137;138). Could you please see anything weird on the logs?

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i see ssl problems in your logs - try to disable encryption for the converter: VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
infran2hw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello mr. Bewe, I like to thank you for your help.

I've changed the SSL to false as going by the instructions on the KB you suggested. It worked fine! Thanks, I almost gave up! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
USMANTAJ76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

l am facing same issue i attached log files kindly help

0 Kudos
wzb1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

请问问题解决了吗

0 Kudos
McNair1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites.

MyGiftCardSite

0 Kudos
merovingianA51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not realize it was trying to spin up a VM and IP it... this was my problem, I wasn't configuring a helper IP.  I'm used to running converter on a local windows box and sending it and I've never had to configure a helper IP.. Seems like a bit of a different process for Linux.  In any case, thanks @Alex_Romeo for that.. as soon as I read DHCP I figured this was my problem. 

-TabarnacST
0 Kudos